Marineland Penguin Cartridge Clogging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Marineland Penguin 330 on my 29g FW tank.

I have had the tank set up for a year in January. Ive had tanks my whole life, including my last tank, a 55g FW setup. I used Penguins on that tank too.. I do a 30% water change every Tuesday.

I replaced the filter cartridge 2.5 weeks ago because the old one was 'full' and water was going out the overflow. I checked it tonight - its full again and overflowing :confused: Ive NEVER had a cartridge go 2.5 weeks and be toast. Quite the contrary actually. My cartridges last 3-4 months usually!

It appears there is some kind of brown algae growing on it. I have no algae problems in my tank at all. I dont overfeed. I occasionally fast the tank (1x per week). I cannot understand why the cartridges are clogging all of a sudden!

Any advice?

First, replacing the entire filter cartridge will get rid of much of your beneficial bacteria colonies. Rinse the cartridge in old tank water and you can reuse it for a while. Run two cartridges if possible and replace only one at a time.

Second, have you looked into making a DIY cartridge? I had a Penguin 200B on my 29g and I got sick of the cartridges blocking up every couple weeks, so I got some Penguin media baskets and cut some filter foam to fit tightly. These worked much better than the factory cartridges and I could easily clean them.

Back
Top Bottom