Marineland Rite-Size Bonded Filter Pad - blue or white facing water flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royta

Aquarium Advice Activist
The instructions on the bonded filter pad say the blue side should "face up", but that doesn't tell me whether UP is towards or away from the water flow. Any suggestions?

The direction is arbitrary. It's the same stuff basically either way. (as far as I can tell) but for some reason it just feels more right to have water going from blue to white. Lol.

The white side is a more open weave, where the blue side is tighter weave. I've got mine set up with the white facing the water flow but am starting to think the blue facing the flow might be better at keeping bigger particles from getting wedged in to the weave.

If that's the case (I've never really noticed in the 3+ years I've used the stuff) then it'd be better to go from white to blue. Larger particles will clog the blue faster, making the white useless. The white should take up larger particles and then the blue should take up whatever finer particles the white missed.

Back
Top Bottom