Maxi-Jet 600 power head powerhead impeller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbwmn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good evening all,
I have a Maxi-Jet 600 power head that is a couple of years old.
I used it in my 46G BF for about 10 days a couple of years ago.
I didn’t like the water agitation so I pulled it out.

Today, I have another application for it.
SO, I fired it up and the impeller doesn’t spin. I cleaned out
both the motor side cavity and the water output cavity to no avail.
I’m guessing that the impeller assy went bad. I googled the manufacturer
Aquatic Systems and couldn’t get a good match.
Does anyone have a link or an idea where I can buy a new impeller?
I’ll go to PetSmart manana but they aren’t too heavy on parts.

Thank you,
Charles

Charles

I'm thinking it would be easier to buy a new one. The one I use to premix my SW died a few days ago.

There's nothing really on the impeller that can go bad on those things. If the impeller won't turn, it's most likely one of two things. First thing... does the magnet on the impeller spin freely on the shaft? If not, then pull off one of those rubber bushing thingies on the end of the shaft and pull the magnet/impeller unit off the shaft. If there are deposits on the shaft, soak it in vinegar for a couple hours and scrub it with some steel wool. You want the magnet/impeller unit to spin freely on the shaft. Whenever mine seizes up, it's due to gunk build up on the impeller shaft and a good cleaning makes it work again like new.

If that doesn't work, then the motor part is most likely dead. If that's the case, just buy a new one.

Parts can be found on just about any online shop. Here's the section at drfostersmith...

Aquarium Powerheads: Maxi-Jet Impellers

Pretty sure ThatPetPlace also carries them. Seems like they carry every spare part ever manufactured for aquariums!

Kurt
The motors not dead and the magnet spins freely.
The impeller vanes(five bladed star shaped part) also spin freely and I don't it should.
When I put the impeller into the motor assy with the impeller cover off, the magnet
spins but thed blades just wiggle a bit. Wiere, may have to buy another.
I only used it for a few days and there is no crud buildup on any part of the powerhead.
DThank you Kurt and Scott for the answers.
Charles

Back
Top Bottom