mech filtering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noodus

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey peoples i have a 72 gal tank with a 18 gal refuge... i used to have the filter foam the sponge like thing to cathc all of the un wanted stuff floating around. i took it out to lower my nitrates.... but i think i need some mech filtering i mean some form of it.. i was looking into a canister filter a eheim model 2026. would this be over kill?

please help that is my first tank, things are going great. i'd like to keep it that way... thanks

Mechanical filtrations is not necessary if you have a significant enough amount of liverock and a decent cleanup crew. The only mechanical filtration I have on my tank is a cheesy sponge to keep large organic matter from junking up my fuge pump. Well, I do have a skimmer -- get a skimmer, not a canister.

thanks for the repies guys....

i have a skimmer already. i've tried the sponge thing, everytime i take the sponge out to clean the whole tank gets cloudy...

i guess i'm looking for a way that requires less maintinence.

If you want to filter large debris the canister would work, like mentioned clean the filter pads weekly or more. Otherwise the crap trapped in the pads/floss can release nitrates/phosphates back into the tank. They're also nice to add some more flow and provide a place for specialized filter media when needed.

If you're wanting your water to appear clearer, try some activated carbon. Place a bag of it in a high flow area in your fuge. Otherwise a skimmer and rock should be all you need for a 72g with fuge. Does your fuge utilize bioballs or another media type?

my fuge doesn't carry bio balls or any other media type. which is why i'm a touch concerned. what about an internal filter think that would help?

Drop a buncha liverock rubble into your fuge, that should help some. Purpose of a fuge is for biological filtration, with nothing in it its just a storage place for extra water = sump. Is your sump split up into chambers? Is there anywhere water is spilling over into the next chamber? That would be a good place to put a bag of carbon.

Back
Top Bottom