Media For NextReef Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got my NextReef MR1 Complete that comes with a pump, tubing and a hang on adapter. I am considering running a Phosphate removing media. Which brand would you recommend? Here are the pics for those also considering this reactor.
g9pnUle.jpg

3PGrgMY.jpg

QAOJ7Xe.jpg

I was gonna say just get some gfo, nothing special,. Alot cheaper than rowa and basically the same thing. BRS has hi capacity gfo too, but I am not sure how much more effective that kind would be and its a tad pricey

I was gonna say just get some gfo, nothing special,. Alot cheaper than rowa and basically the same thing. BRS has hi capacity gfo too, but I am not sure how much more effective that kind would be and its a tad pricey

Thanks Carey! I will see what else my LFS has in stock later this evening. If brand does not matter that much then I would rather save $. LOL. I do have some leftover Phosguard but I want to start using something else.

Phosguard is pretty good, it tumbles really well in reactors. GFO and rowa too can clog. It all depends on how quickly that particular reactor clogs.
But sure, give something else a try. GFO is an oldie but a proven goodie. lol

Phosguard is pretty good, it tumbles really well in reactors. GFO and rowa too can clog. It all depends on how quickly that particular reactor clogs.
But sure, give something else a try. GFO is an oldie but a proven goodie. lol

Thanks Carey. I read a few different articles/posts that aluminum based phosphate media is not healthy for corals, leather in particular. Granted none of the articles were backed by science I was going to side with caution and move away from Phosguard. I believe it's Alumina Oxide.

Good to know about the phosguard. I hadnt read that but it seems plausible. I dont run phosphate media all the time, but when I do its usually phosguard for a couple days and it fixes the issue right up. I cant comment on long term use though

Back
Top Bottom