Megaflow owners=>pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwatersmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan on getting an AGA 90gal megaflow. The drain will split between a 20gal sump and 15gal fuge. I plan on using a Mag pump for the return with about 4' head, check valve and a ball valve union. What size pump (Mag 7, 9.5, 12) should I use? I will be using other methods for water circulation so I am just looking for around the safe potential gph of the megaflow. I was considering the Mag 9.5. Does this sound about right?

TIA
Stephen

I think most will say a 9.5 will be ok. I played it safe and got a mag7 for my megaflow but I thinkg it could handle more.

You can also widen the teeth of the overflow which will increase flow.

I think I will add a tee in the return so I can cut down the flow just in case. I have seen some running as large as a Mag18. I just think it may be a waste of electricity to go extremely excessive. Thanks for the response ellisz.

I can tell you a Mag 5 will work for sure, but it's not enough. I got a Mag 5 and wish I had at least a 7 now, maybe even a 9.5. If you go with the 9.5 I would put a ball valve on there just to be safe though. :D

Back
Top Bottom