Melted/Cracked Light Strip!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmclemore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal tank with 2) 23 inch light strips. The plastic that holds the bulb in place has all melted and is cracking away. I replaced one of the light strips a couple weeks ago with a used one I found at the local pet store. Now, I cannot find another one that's 23 inches. Seems they don't make them anymore. Can you buy the plastic housing that holds the bulbs in place? Thanks!

Welcome to AA!

24" lights are pretty common. You can look online and find a lot of them. Depending on what kind of hoods you have, you could also buy a shop light from Home Depot for less money.

petsmart carries the fluorescent hoods for 10g/20g/55g tanks for about $20 that includes the hood and light. you may also want to check craigslist, there's usually several good deals floating around on there

Thanks for the replies! It states that it is 24inches, made by All-Glass Aquarium Inc, Model #R17929....but when I measure it, it's only 22 1/2 inches??? There is a plastic piece in the middle of the two lights....I guess that is why they only measure 22 1/2 inches. I bought it as a kit from Walmart: Walmart.com: Aquaculture: Home Starter Kit 55 Aquarium, 1 Kt: Fish
I've checked Craigslist, all the local pet shops, and tried to contact the manufacturer. I even took the old light to the pet stores for them to measure. The 24 inch ones they have will not work. The hood itself is in perfect condition. It's just the white plastic that holds the bulb in....can you buy just that piece? If not, I guess I'm going to have to buy a 48in hood and I'm short on cash....I might have to try the shop light. Thanks for any more suggestions and all of your help!

If it's just the piece that holds the bulb, try going to Home Depot, Menards, etc., or Radio Shack. They can probably get you something that will work. It may not match precisely, but it'll do the job. I'd take the melted one with to try to match it. Also know the size of the bulb. (T5, T8, T12) A little soldering and some heat shrink tubing and you'll be back in business.

Thanks for the help everyone! I found an under cabinet kitchen light at Lowes for $14 that worked perfect....just wired it to the switch and power cord in the hood! Thanks again!

I've got a pleco, 2 angels, 6 neon tetras, 4 skirt tetras. I'm going to add a few more later. I just re-did my tank a few weeks ago. I had a jack dempsy & a salvini. The jack died after a couple years, so I gave the salvini to a friend....wanted to try my luck with a couple angels.

Good score on the lights. They will do fine. I am not sure about those lights if you plan to go heavy planted.

I don't have any plants....but I was wondering if this light is okay for my fish. Wattage and everything is the same as the aquarium bulbs. Is there something special about the aquarium blubs?

In a fish only setup the only factor is "what is pleasing to your eyes". Most AQ lights have a higher Kelvin level(6,500K and up), which gets away from the Yellow spectrum of light giving a more white to blue light.

Back
Top Bottom