Metal Halid/t5 Question for new build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason1985

Aquarium Advice Freak
This weekend I am starting to build a canaopy for a buddy of mine. His tank dimensions are 48x19x24 so 90gallon.

He wants to keep all types of coral...

We are doing a DIY lighting setup so here are my questions.

2x 250w metal halid one on each side of the tank and 2x 48" t5 Actinic
or
2 x 400w metal halid one on each side of the tank and 2x 48" t5 Actinic
(is this overkill?)
or
1 x 400w or 250w metal halid in the middle of the canopy and 2x 48" t5 Actinic

I was told that if I buy a single Metal Halid and install it in the middle of the canopy there will be reflection due to the fact the light will be shinning down on the cross brace that is ontop of the tank.

I will be placing my order with aquacave

now what is the big difference between single ended and double ended? I see the double ended HQI bulbs have slimmer reflectors. The With is thinner and better for under the hood but will i have any advantages with either of the two?

now what is the big difference between single ended and double ended? I see the double ended HQI bulbs have slimmer reflectors. The With is thinner and better for under the hood but will i have any advantages with either of the two?

I was told by an electrician that HQI bulbs produce MUCH more heat. It may be an issue in a canopy

Depending on the bulbs you choose (and there is a giant variation between bulbs), you can use either 2 x 175w or 2 x 250w. 400w is overkill for that size tank.

The only difference is a DE bulb must be used with a reflector that has a UV shield where a SE bulb is already incased in a UV shield. There is no difference in heat output.

Depends on the reflector, not the bulb. For example, you can get a Lumenarc III that will work with either a DE or SE and there will be no difference between the 2.

Depending on the bulbs you choose (and there is a giant variation between bulbs), you can use either 2 x 175w or 2 x 250w. 400w is overkill for that size tank.

The only difference is a DE bulb must be used with a reflector that has a UV shield where a SE bulb is already incased in a UV shield. There is no difference in heat output.

If it was you buying. What ones would you purchase?

Metal Halide Retro Kits

that looks good. hope i can fit that along with 2 t5 under my canopy

ok the canopy is done. stained and lighting works good. I didnt use a hinge system for the top cover of the canopy. I will simply remove the top when I need to work inside the tank.

Will post pics later

Back
Top Bottom