Metal Halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a few question about them, yesterday as i was looking to buy one i went to alot of lfs maybe like 10 if not more, and i noticed that some of them were nice and some looked like the ones you would find at home depot. and i asked them if i could use one of those from home depot and some said yes but that i needed to change the bulb and that ill need a ballast and a fan. some said no. and some said that i just needed the bulb and some didnt know. so my question is can i use one from home depot if i change the bulb? and if i cant why cant i?, i dont really mind how will it look like since im building a big wooden canopy plz help me out, pretty much i only needed in once spot due that my mom wants a clam and one hard coral really bad

What wattage? Are you looking for more PAR (whiter colored bulb) or more color (less PAR)?

well i dont really know im running 6 t5 that are 54 w each, and i just know that i need a MH for clams but not wat wattage i need and what kind of bulbs

Well once you find the wattage out, Go something like 20000k, Gives a good white/blue look. How big is your tank? I'd say try to aim for 250watt, Ive had good sucsess with that.

I have a 55gal cube, I run a 250w SE globe. My corals are thriving, I brought a elegance coral about 3 months ago, Its about 3x its original size, And my Duncan coral has about 6 or more heads. My Anemone is about double its size. And my poylps and mushrooms are spreading like crazy.

Up to you. :)

wow, that's quite a markup. I wonder what the difference is? I imagine the reflector quality isn't as good, but reflectors aren't THAT expensive

and actually the reflector on the one from home depot are shinier than the ones for fish thats why i was wondering , the only thing ill have to make a base but thats easy and ill get a clip on fan so it cools it down and the fan is like ten bucks

You MUST match the wattage of the bulb and ballast. You can't run a 250w bulb in a 175w ballast for example. You would be fine with a 175w ballast and a 175w Iwaski 15k bulb. You will get as much PAR from that bulb as many 250's and it's a bright white color.

wow, that's quite a markup. I wonder what the difference is? I imagine the reflector quality isn't as good, but reflectors aren't THAT expensive
You get what you pay for. A good, quality reflector will run around $100 or more.
http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=285

Last edited:
You MUST match the wattage of the bulb and ballast. You can't run a 250w bulb in a 175w ballast for example. You would be fine with a 175w ballast and a 175w Iwaski 15k bulb. You will get as much PAR from that bulb as many 250's and it's a bright white color.

You get what you pay for. A good, quality reflector will run around $100 or more.
Metal Halide Aquarium Reflectors

Was just about to say the exact same thing. You need a ballast which can be expensive sometimes.

oh ok so i wont only need the light but the ballast aswell? and can i find the ballast at home depot or lowes too? or where would i found it?

Back
Top Bottom