Metal Halide Ballast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fshfrk58

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am curious if anyone likes or dislikes vertex MH ballasts. Or if anyone has any opinions on some lower priced ballasts that work well. Thanks.

FshFrk58

I beg to differ. There definitely is a big difference between electronic ballasts. Check out this thread and you tell me that they don't make a big difference.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/icecap-ballasts-make-a-big-difference-123596.html
I will let you do the research yourself. Take a look at Sanjay's Lighting site. He tested bulbs with different electronic ballasts and then you can see for yourself, in hard #'s, how much difference there is between them. There is a bigger difference in the CCT (color) between the ballasts than there is in PPFD (PAR) output. You probably saw that difference. Looks like the IceCap burns the bulb whiter in your case, but that doesn't mean it's putting out any more PAR.

Here's a few examples.
Coralvue 250W 12k: IceCap ballast - 56 PPFD, ReefFanatic - 52 PPFD
Phoenix HexArc 250W 14k: IceCap ballast - 73 PPFD, Blueline - 74 PPFD, ReefFanatic - 76 PPFD, EVC - 79 PPFD
XM 250W 15k: IceCap ballast - 47 PPFD, Blueline - 41 PPFD, ReefFanatic - 53 PPFD, EVC - 50 PPFD

Hmmmm? I'll look into it further but I'll bet dollar to donuts there is a significant difference between the ballastwise and Icecap PAR output. The examples of the Ballasts you outlined are fairly close. I've gone to Sanjays lighting sight and was unable to find any tests on the ballastwise ballast.

You won't find info on every ballast made on his site. He only tested what was sent to him. Anyway, I asked him, in person, about the BallastWise ballasts and also the electronic ballasts on Ebay from Hong Kong. He told me what I said above. There is very little difference in performance between ANY electronic ballast.

BTW...what bulbs are you using?

Last edited:
You won't find info on every ballast made on his site. He only tested what was sent to him. Anyway, I asked him, in person, about the BallastWise ballasts and also the electronic ballasts on Ebay from Hong Kong. He told me what I said above. There is very little difference in performance between ANY electronic ballast.

BTW...what bulbs are you using?
I have one working ballastwise ballast left (The other one blew a hole right through the casing), do you think he would be willing to test out the good one?
The bulbs I'm using are DE 14000k 250w Phoenix lamps.

Sanjay said he's done testing bulbs unless something new and exciting comes out. He already tested close to 1,000 diff bulb/ballast combos.

Did you contact BallastWise for a replacement? The VHO ballasts I bought from them have a 3 yr warranty.

How are you liking the Phoenix bulbs? (FWIW, they put out less PAR than the 175w Iwasaki 15k bulbs I use.)

Sanjay said he's done testing bulbs unless something new and exciting comes out. He already tested close to 1,000 diff bulb/ballast combos.

Did you contact BallastWise for a replacement? The VHO ballasts I bought from them have a 3 yr warranty.

How are you liking the Phoenix bulbs? (FWIW, they put out less PAR than the 175w Iwasaki 15k bulbs I use.)

He may be interested in the new multi wattage digital ballasts coming out in January that can control almost any wattage bulb/type bulb out there with one ballast.

I like the Phoenix bulbs much better with the icecap ballasts. With the ballastwise ballast they were way to blue and dull, now they have less of a blue hugh but enough to highlight everything nicely. I'm going to contact them to get a replacement then sell them. I'm not to happy with the size of the hole that blew through the casing of the one.

I saw your Iwasaki bulbs in action on your thread and they sure do a great job. Where did you get them and can I get them in the 250 watt DE variety?

Back
Top Bottom