Metal Halide Canopy Legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamielaxsw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I have a question. I have a 48" dual 175w Metal Halide canopy that I just received that is now just sitting on top of my tank. I know that it would be best if I could raise the hood about 5or6 in. Raising the hood from the ceiling is not an option. Coralife makes mounting legs for its models but I dont think it will work on my canopy. Does anyone know of mounting legs or any other way to raise a canopy? Thanks in advance for any ideas..

Ok I think I have a good Idea.( for those who might have the same problem I have.) I use egg crate on top of my tank sooooo if i build up just the 4 corners lets say about 4" long and glueing each piece one on top if each other untill its about 5". That way the canopy can sit up 5" and still be pretty stable. Sound like a good idea? Anyone with a better setup? Mahalos

I made 4 legs out of 1 in PVC and just put the legs on 2.5 inch glass that I ran across the tank fron back to front and it was fine...

Klam, Its a 60 gal. 48". I could actually use the coralife legs but they only will lift my hood about 3in off of the tank. In addition I would have to drill holes in the aluminum hood to try to secure the legs. I'm not sure how good it will look after I would try to modify it. I got another idea. I ordered 4- 6" acrylic risers. They are like small dumbells that have a 4" clear square acrylic top and bottom and solid clear acrylic middle. My plan is to glue each one in each corner of the eggcrate and then just sit the hood on the risers. With the MH lights its should look cool. (I hope) I think all those eggcrate pieces just wouldnt do it. Firefighters Idea sounds good, better than the eggcrate Idea! Thanks again for the ideas...

Well I received the 4 risers and glued them to my eggcrate. Now the canopy sits on the 4" squares on top of the risers in each corner of the canopy. I like the look! Only thing now is that the hood sits about 9" from the water line. Maybe I should have gotten the 4" risers instead. Hope this helps others...Mahalos

Back
Top Bottom