Metal halide wattage question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One unit has a 150w mh bulb and 2 65w pc's, the other has a 175w mh and 2 65w pc's. The difference between the 2 is the size of the mh's. I can't comment on the availablilty of 150w double ended mh bulbs, but 175 is a very common size.

what you want to put in the tank will decide on which light is better for you. You can have TOO much lighting. Especially in a shallow tank where you cant place things low enough.

someone else will have to field that question. I have little personal experience with those anemone. I think 7 wpg is probably extreme, but I am not really sure.

I keep a Sebae and 3 BTA's in my tank-55gal 2x250w MH/2x110w VHO o3. WPG is useless when dealing w MH lamps IME. I had the Sebae under just VHO's(2x75w) in a 29 gal. for over a year, and I can say it is much happier/healthier looking under these MH. Sebae's are high light anemones. I've had my current set up going for 1 year next month and could not be happier w/ the results.

Yes, definitely not too much just be sure proper light acclimation procedures are followed. I think you'll be very happy w/ it.

I have never heard of light acclimation. can you explain?

sweet. I was afraid i was going to do too much with these.

You think this light will heat the water too much?

Well there a couple ways of light acclimating. One is to place new arrivals low in the tank and slowly move them up to where you want them. Another way, which is also useful when replacing old lamps or changing K's, is the screen acclimation. Basically put 2-3 layers of screen, maybe more depending on what your tank/new coral is used to, over the top of the tank. Remove one layer every 7-14 days to slowly introduce the corals to the higher intensity lighting.
As far as heat goes, I don't think w/ just one MH it will be too much of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom