Metal stand limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacoeater

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you guys think this stand will support a 100 gallon tall tank? It came with a 55 gallon tank that leaked, made a custom table top for it and has been holding my 60 gallon for 5 years now without problems. Both tanks are 48" long, 15" deep.
Bought stand and 55 gallon separate, so don't know what stand was made for originally. Just bought the 55 because it fit, leaked and it was cheaper to get a new 60 and make a tabletop to replace it.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391107024.964249.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391107064.638709.jpg

looking at the construction of the stand I would say no I wouldn't trust it
you can build a nice sturdy stand for under $50 look at the one I built for my 90g in my build tread in my signature below

I found an older, welded stand--industrial type, really--for $15 and repainted it; works great. That particular stand looks a bit thin around the legs IMHO.

When looking at something like that, you have to look at the construction rather than just the material. It is probably a lot stronger than it appears to be. Doesn't mean you should load it up, but don't be fooled by it's spindly appearance. Next time your in a warehouse type store look at the bar joists that make up the roof structure. They are usually extremely light, but very strong because of the construction, not the light weight materials.

Back
Top Bottom