MH light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd def keep the one you have. The odyssea fixtures don't come that highly rated. I had their T5 and was happy with it, but it was only a temporary fixture, I knew I was gonna upgrade soon.

Thanks Carey. So you think 150 is enough for a 30" 30 gal even though the unit is only 20"? I used it on my Aquapod 24 and since my 30 is the same depth it should work. Right? In case I get some SPS just put them in the middle? What do you think? Pete

I think if it's been working for you so far stick with it. My thoughts are if you in fact wanna upgrade that you pick a better fixture. There have been reports of these units catching fire, some say that was awhile ago some still stay away from them. They aren't even UL listed electronics.

If youre hanging the unit you might wanna hang a tad higher so you get more spread.

You also could go with LEDS too, a 30" fixture wouldnt be too crazy expensive I wouldnt think. And of course, you can always easily go to a top end T5 setup that would pretty much allow you to grow SPS and whatever else you want, with the right bulbs of course.

The 30" tank is an issue as most people dont make one, they go 24" to 36" to 48". Here's a fixture I really like.

Current USA 30" Sundial T-5 Fixture 4x24W + LED - AquaCave

I also just did a search through my favorite sites and couldnt come up with a 30" MH fixture. :-( It's such an odd size, I had trouble finding one myself.

Thanks. Have been running the Sunpod for like 3 years on the AP24 with a Phoenix 14k. No fire yet knock on wood. And just love the shimmer it gives off. Currently getting diatoms so will have to wait for more corals - just have my original yellow Fiji, clown, chromis, blood shrimp. Alot for a new tank but they were transferred from the old one.

Here are some pics from my new setup.

Attachments

• image-3593044948.jpg
    image-3593044948.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2076098882.jpg
    image-2076098882.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 103
Setup looks really nice! I love the acrylic tank. I think the fixture you have now is the best for that type of tank, what with the opening and all. I think you should have fine light penetration. You can also stagger your corals higher up depending on their lighting needs. I have my SPS at the near top of my rocks and they are doing really well.

Back
Top Bottom