MH lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
halides are great, but that information you received is incorrect. with an 8 lamp fixture that is individually reflected, you can keep sps on the sand bed, even if your tank is 30 inches deep. those people who are giving you information could have been using junk ebay fixtures or crap bulbs. the same thing can happen with halide lamps at 60 bucks a pop.
i've used both halides and t-5 fixtures over the years and haven't had a problem with either.
that's total nonsense about a 6 or 8 lamp t-5 fixture having difficulty with ballasts also, providing you are speaking of a quality fixture.
these guys must have been using those chinese knock-off garbage fixtures from ebay. if not, they are guaranteed just like halides fixtures.

I read that about the ballast on marinedepot.com in the reviews. Not sure the quality of those ones but they seemed pretty good. But I bet these were all problems with the specific model not in general. So which would/do you use or recommend?

well, i've used quite a few entry level fixtures and never had a problem, such as current nova pros, sunlight supply TEK fixtures, and even cheap hydrofarm fixtures and didn't have an issue with any of them.
if money was no object i would probably go with a aquactinics fixture or an ATI powermodule.
meanwhile, you said you already purchased the halides, so the point is moot. i just wanted anyone reading to know that you can do the same with either t-5 or halides. the only thing you don't get with T-5s is the shimmer, and perhaps some heat.

Im sure it was those particular fixtures. Maybe even damaged while shipped, who knows. So no difference except shimmer and heat? I feel as though I have waisted my money. Plus the energy difference, me spending more money. Well maybe when I move out of this tiny appt I will upgrade to a larger tank and a new T5 light.

Just to clarify...you have 1 150w MH and 2x39w T5HO? 228w total
A 6x39w T5HO fixture = 234w total
A 8x39w T5HO fixture = 312w total

The cheapest to run is the setup you have now.

It's one fixture with 2 39w bulbs yes. But I'm getting another 150w MH and the plan is to get rid of the T5. It really clutters the top of my tank, these clamp on are great. They leave the top completely open with plenty of room.

Back
Top Bottom