MH nub questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been looking at MH lights for my next tank that I plan on getting and I was browsing hellolights.com looking to see what they have, how much it costs. I was wondering for something like this you have to buy the ballast, the bulb, the socket, grounded power cord, and quick disconnect. And then build your own canopy right?

Yes I was looking at the electronic ballasts. Those kits include the ballast, reflector, and grounded power cord. So if I got one of the those kits I would need to buy the bulb and that's it? and then make a canopy right?

Each MH lamp will cover approx. 2 x 2 foot area. Be sure to leave plenty of space between the water surface and the lights to avoid excessive heat transfer and shattering from splashing water.

I would suggest that you have your MH at least 10" off the surface of the water. Less then that and the heat buildup will cause your temps to sky-rocket...more then that and the light isn't going to penatrate to the bottom as well! I like to overlap the 2x2 area a little for maximum coverage....If you can manage it position your bulbs to that the base is to the back of the tank and the bulb is pointing to the front, you will get better coverage this way...my next tank I will set up that way!

Back
Top Bottom