Microbubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdubrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just recently started getting a lot of microbubbles in my tank. I originally thought it may be the skimmer but its not. I ran the tank skimmerless for a while and I am still getting them. I guess it could be my return line. My return output is only about 2 inches under the waterline and sometimes I can see a whirlpool effect right above it. Could this be causing the problem?

how low is the waterlevel, to the input on the pump? if the waterlevel gets too low, the pump can pull water from the surface, causing bubbles. also find sometimes ball valves can cause them, i have seen them on my smaller pump from the ball valve.
but i know if the level in my sump lowers too much, even though the pump still under water, it pulls water down from the surface, and blows microbubbles out into the tank.
i also had some issue with them from the gravity side into the sump, baffles fixed it, but i think the mechanical filter media was causing them there..

just something to look at...

how low is the waterlevel, to the input on the pump? if the waterlevel gets too low, the pump can pull water from the surface, causing bubbles. also find sometimes ball valves can cause them, i have seen them on my smaller pump from the ball valve.
but i know if the level in my sump lowers too much, even though the pump still under water, it pulls water down from the surface, and blows microbubbles out into the tank.
i also had some issue with them from the gravity side into the sump, baffles fixed it, but i think the mechanical filter media was causing them there..

just something to look at...

The pump input is definitely in plenty of water. It do have a ball valve but when I ran this exact setup on my freshwater itwas fine. Can it be the type of salt I'm using. I recall reading somewhere that some salt mixes are known for having microbubble problems. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I'm using reef crytals.

I just did a water change today and cleaned out my mag 9.5 and checked my return line for leaks. Everything looked fine to me. So I turned the skimmer off for about 2 hours and there is still microbubbles. Not as much as when the skimmer is one but still present. The only other stuff I have running is a Koralia powerhead and a vortec mp20. Can it be the Vortec? This is driving me crazy lol.

Back
Top Bottom