Misc questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's OK, I just started ordering from the US. Our dollar now makes it so close to a 1$:1$ ratio, so even with duties it's cheaper to order from the US.

Generally duties can be quite expensive depending on what you buy. I was looking at ordering a weather station from the united states and it was like 80$ of duties on 219.00$. Anyway i`m getting off topic. For lighting i was including it in my tank price at 300$ i should have both of them.

I was looking at some places about Ceramic rings. Do you use them instead of carbon filter or a combination of both ? Some say you replace the carbon filter for those other say to use both simultaniously... what is the best ?

It is up to you. I see no reason to use carbon. I use sponges and ceramic noodles. I think my water looks crystal clear. I have a carbon pad available just incase I need it to remove medicine or some other contaminate.

I use carbon only to remove meds, or if I get new driftwood, to remove tannins. Other than that, I only use ceramic rings and lava granules.

I only use carbon to remove meds. for Bio media, I replace the Biomax rings with Seachem Matrix.. I figure they're all the same, but matrix boasts it will reduce nitrate.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I only use carbon to remove meds. for Bio media, I replace the Biomax rings with Seachem Matrix.. I figure they're all the same, but matrix boasts it will reduce nitrate.

I always wondered about that. With using it, have you notices any significant changes in nitrate levels using it? Been thinking of trying it myself. :)

Ha, it would take a tree to drop my nitrates, If I'm lucky I can get them down to 10 by vacumming all the gravel, using purigen and changing 50% of the water..

Due for a bit of a gravel vac this weekend.. try to get some of that monsters poo up before it all dissolves.. (Pleco's are such a messy fish, esp. when they get over 1/4 the length of the tank...)

I don't think there is actually a product that will reduce Nitrates successfully long term. Water changes are pretty much the only thing that does (besides plants).

Back
Top Bottom