Moisture in heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20GL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello avid fish keepers! I noticed some moisture in my heater today while doing my water change. Should I be concerned or is this normal?
You can see condensation where the heater light is. Brand is Topfin if I recall. Was purchased and fired up in July of this year.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1314942318.jpg
    image-1314942318.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 58
do you have a receipt? it can very well cause a short or explode, killing all of your fish. the moisture means its not properly sealed.

edit: that is if the condensation makes its way to the heating element.

Yikes! That would be horrible!!! It's cold tonight, so I cannot turn it off and my backup heater is from the same brand - bought at the same time >_< I will turn it off in the morning and hopefully the light will keep the water fairly warm during the day. I will return both heaters tomorrow. Do you recommend a particular brand?

Thanks aquandrew - you save the day yet again!!!

no problem :) i've actually had that same heater in one of my 20 gallons for a few months now and it works really well for the price. i haven't had that problem with this heater, but have with another and returned it right away. if you like the heater, they will definitely replace it for you though

Back
Top Bottom