Moving to the Fluval 404

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjw9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After my last post, I am serious thinking of moving up to the Fluval 404, but it only has a 340 gph rate, is that going to be enough for my 75g tank. Also, by moving everything except the foam from the 304 to the 404 do you think I will be keeping enough bacteria intact.

I think a 404 would be adequate for a 75, but barely so, and a very nice complement to it would be a larger HOB, like a Penguin 330 or Emperor 400. For larger tanks I like to have dual filtration, and a canister with a HOB does the job very nicely.

As far as your bacterial colony (forgive me as I don't think I have read the previous post) if it is an established tank, putting a brand spanking new filter on it should not start a cycle at all. There should be tons of bacteria in the tank itself on all of the surfaces. I have never had a problem putting a new filter with 100% new media on an established tank. It does not hurt to transfer media to the new filter, certainly, but it is not required unless the tank is a relatively new setup.

or you can run the 304 and 404 at the same time. :wink: That's plenty of filtration for a 75 gallon,

Brian, we think alike- I told gjw9 in a pm to just get another Fluval and run in together with the current one, assuming there was not another plan for the 304.

Thank you all

Since I do plan on increasing my fish load I am taking the advice an running both the 304 and the 404. Again, thank you all for your replies.

Back
Top Bottom