Mutter. Time for an AC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferret

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, time to buy a small AC unit for the bedroom.

I can deal with fairly high temperatures, but after spending 3 days trying to understand why fish in the 90 gallon planted tank seemed to just randomly die, no signs of illness or issues in the water parameters, the thought occured to me (I was being dumb) to check the temperature. 86+ in the day, down to 80 at night (80 is where the heater is set).

So, I've decided wide daily temperature fluxes as a possible reason, and my wife finally gets her AC. I've been putting it off because a decent window unit is $150+, and our bedroom windows are besides the walkway to our door, little worried about security. But oh well.

You can easily brace the window so no one can open it, then the AC is not a security risk. Or just screw the AC right to the window frame.

I have two ACs and I keep my place at about 68->70F no matter how hot it is outside. My electric bill goes up about $50 a month in the summer, but it is worth it to be comfortable :)

I'm just angry at this point. Yesterday 3 just randomly died. I don't care particularily about the zebra danios, but I was a bit mad to loose one of my 4 remaining glow-lite tetras, which I've had a long time now and have survived living in multiple tanks and all my beginner's mistakes and horrors. I almost lost a serpae tetra, which I really dislike because I've had 8 since I got this tank and they've survived every issue this tank has had. Now I'll have to buy a new one, and it makes me sad, rawr.

Why pay only $150 to cool the whole room when you could buy an aquarium chiller for about $500 that would cool only the aquarium and heat up the room. Why would anyone buy a window AC?

I'm in the same boat as you, Ferret.

Having to get a window unit because the 5 tanks I ahve in the bedroom shoot up over 90 during the day, and down to 82 at night.

i can't imagine no a/c but then again i live in fla....built in automatically to every house practically. BTW if i kept it at 72degrees (where i like it) my bill would be +$125 :roll: good luck with the window unit and i hope the rest of your lil guys make it till then.

I have 3 window units, the one in my bedroom is the nicest. It's all digital, and has a thermostat. It's 6000 BTUs, and keeps the room cool, but it's really quiet. Not sure how much the unit cost, my landlord bought it for me.

As far as electricity costs, I have the average payment plan, that averages the cost over 12 months instead of monster bills in the summer.

jennymit21 said:
i can't imagine no a/c but then again i live in fla....built in automatically to every house practically. BTW if i kept it at 72degrees (where i like it) my bill would be +$125 :roll: good luck with the window unit and i hope the rest of your lil guys make it till then.

I'm in Orlando, Bub. Just 20 minute jaunt down the ol' East and West from you :p

so I know how florida is, and I know I need an airconditioner because of it :lol:

Oh, we have central air. Problem is we've in a third floor apartment, we get the heat from the two apartments below us, plus the units are like, 30 years old. I ended up getting a 8,000 BTU unit. The apartment, between the window unit and the normal central unit, is now around 75 degrees, down from its usually 83-85ish.

The issue is, while all other tanks now show around 79-81 degrees, the planted tank still shows 86-88 and I see the heater kick on every so often. Seems like the heater is out of whack. Gonna replace it today and hopefully this will end.

grimlock3000 said:
I have two ACs and I keep my place at about 68->70F no matter how hot it is outside. :)
you're an eskimo!!!! the other day we had the AC set at 76 and i was FREEZING!

william......please tell me if you have found a good LFS around here. i haven't been here long and am dying to find something better than the one near my place.
TIA

Back
Top Bottom