My Powerheads are MURDERERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright i just lost my third fish to a powerhead,

1 - Very small O. Clown - totally healthy for the one week i had him. Got into my preskimmer for my BakPak2 and got sucked into my rio 600

2 - Chromis - got stuck to my maxi jet 1200, also smalll. Also healthy the night before. Had him for two weeks.

3 - Chromis #2 - also got into my preskimmer and was no match to the rio 600. Also small and healthy.

Does anyone else have this problem. If anyone is familiar with the BakPak 2 Preskimmer, i had to take the sponge off, which is supposed to stop fish from getting in. If you leave it on, it prevents a smooth flow of water into the preskimmer and causes the pump to run dry, which will proabably kill it. What should i do. I was considering taking off the preskimmer when i upgrade my pump to a MJ 1200, but now im having second thoughts. AHHHHHHH.

Can you rubber-band some netting over the in-take? Onions and oranges come bagged in plastic netting...I have some over the intake in my fresh water aquarium. Double or triple it up...even baby guppies are saved this way!

Another thing I was thinking of was needlepoint screen, but that is not as flexible as the produce netting. You can get it in black or white usually, though I am sure other colors may be available.

I'm a freshie, not a salty, so this may or may not work for you: drill small holes into the prefilter and use plastic cable ties to secure the screen, or in the alternative, use small drops of silicone.

Diane,
Pond netting is about 1" holes in there... thats too big.

Fishey, That is an idea....

Could you drill some more holes into the prefilter so you get more flow???

Back
Top Bottom