My Son's Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquNewbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My son wanted to get a Betta and after waiting a few months my wife and I decided to get him started.

We bought him a 3 gallon (360 degree viewing tank) that came with air pump and an undergravel filter system. He also has a 50W heater and some gravel in the bottom. We have cleaned everything, setup the tank and have it merrily bubbling along.

Now after some research I've read that undergravel systems may not be all they are cracked up to be and I'm worried my son's fish may not survive because of this.

Should I buy him a real filter or try our luck with it's current setup?

The water has been treated with Splended Betta complete water conditioner and we have test kits for PH and Ammonia, are we missing anything else?

Thanks for all suggestions and help! :fish1: :thanks:

AquNewbie said:
My son wanted to get a Betta and after waiting a few months my wife and I decided to get him started.

We bought him a 3 gallon (360 degree viewing tank) that came with air pump and an undergravel filter system. He also has a 50W heater and some gravel in the bottom. We have cleaned everything, setup the tank and have it merrily bubbling along.

Now after some research I've read that undergravel systems may not be all they are cracked up to be and I'm worried my son's fish may not survive because of this.

The water has been treated with Splended Betta complete water conditioner and we have test kits for PH and Ammonia, are we missing anything else?

Welcome to AA!
Bettas usually prefer a calm waters surface to breathe from so if the filter is creating huge surface agitation I would change it. UGF trap a lot of waste under the gravel. That waste can lead to higher amounts of toxins in the water (not good for your Betta). I suggest a small hang on filter (HOB) with a baffle. Like this
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

You will also need a test for nitrIte and nitrAte. Get liquid test because strips can be highly inaccurate.
Do you know of cycling?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Welcome to AA!
Bettas usually prefer a calm waters surface to breathe from so if the filter is creating huge surface agitation I would change it. UGF trap a lot of waste under the gravel. That waste can lead to higher amounts of toxins in the water (not good for your Betta). I suggest a small hang on filter (HOB) with a baffle. Like this
Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

You will also need a test for nitrIte and nitrAte. Get liquid test because strips can be highly inaccurate.
Do you know of cycling?
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Thanks so much for your reply. OK so we got a small low flow filter in addition to his UGF which should definitely help. Yes I've read all there is on cycling and we have liquid tests for both NitrIte and nitrAte as well as PH.

Once the new filter is in the tank I'm going to try and find some Ammonia and start building up the helpful bacteria, then once we have a stable environment we'll be getting his fish. If there's anything else we need to know we'd be glad to hear it. :thanks:

Truthfully, Bettas don't NEED a filter, but it is highly preferred. I agree with Mumma Of Two that a small HOB filter is the best. Have fun with your Betta!

AquNewbie said:
Thanks so much for your reply. OK so we got a small low flow filter in addition to his UGF which should definitely help. Yes I've read all there is on cycling and we have liquid tests for both NitrIte and nitrAte as well as PH.

Once the new filter is in the tank I'm going to try and find some Ammonia and start building up the helpful bacteria, then once we have a stable environment we'll be getting his fish. If there's anything else we need to know we'd be glad to hear it. :thanks:

No problem :)
Since its just the betta going in the tank you don't need to fishless cycle with 4ppm of ammonia. 1ppm will be more then sufficient to grow enough bacteria to support him.

phoenixkiller said:
Truthfully, Bettas don't NEED a filter, but it is highly preferred. I agree with Mumma Of Two that a small HOB filter is the best. Have fun with your Betta!

No they don't *need* one BUT without you are looking at water changes every 1-2 days instead of once a week. IMO its much better to just cycle the tank with a filter so you don't have to worry about any ammonia or nitrite harming the fish at all. Even something as simple as a sponge filter will keep the tank cycled. If you choose not to cycle a Betta tank you might as well add a filter because it will cycle whether you want it to or not. If you skip a water change it's not putting the fish on danger. For a few dollars it saves time, water and worry. :)

No they don't *need* one BUT without you are looking at water changes every 1-2 days instead of once a week. IMO its much better to just cycle the tank with a filter so you don't have to worry about any ammonia or nitrite harming the fish at all. Even something as simple as a sponge filter will keep the tank cycled. If you choose not to cycle a Betta tank you might as well add a filter because it will cycle whether you want it to or not. If you skip a water change it's not putting the fish on danger. For a few dollars it saves time, water and worry. :)
Yeah, that's why I said it is highly preferred.

No problem :)
Since its just the betta going in the tank you don't need to fishless cycle with 4ppm of ammonia. 1ppm will be more then sufficient to grow enough bacteria to support him.

Sounds good. He'll certainly be happy to get his fish a little sooner.

On the other hand I'm in the process of getting everything together for a 50 gal tank, going to take a few months to get everything sorted out but it's going to be fun!!!!

AquNewbie said:

On the other hand I'm in the process of getting everything together for a 50 gal tank, going to take a few months to get everything sorted out but it's going to be fun!!!!

Ah! MTS (multiple tank syndrome) strikes again! It's a very contagious disease we've all contracted. Lol!
What fish where you thinking for the 50g. It's a good size for quite a few fish. :)

Awesome! Is this your first tank at this size? What other tanks do you have?

Ah! MTS (multiple tank syndrome) strikes again! It's a very contagious disease we've all contracted. Lol!
What fish where you thinking for the 50g. It's a good size for quite a few fish. :)

LoL.. well I've wanted a big tank waaay before my son's. I'm actually just at the point where I'm thinking about what I'd like to have. If you have any suggestions I'd certainly like to hear them. I'd like to have a few 'wow' fish that look interesting and then some others to complement.

There's a few options.
Cichlid only tanks like Africans or fish like convicts. The tanks a bit small for an oscar, etc.
Community tank with fish like angels or dwarf cichlids, gouramis with tetras, rasboras, barbs, loaches, small plecos, inverts, etc.
Goldfish only tank.
Or saltwater.
It all depends what your interested in. Most people newer to the hobby like to keep community tanks. It gives you a chance to have lots of different kinds of fish in the one tank (not all community fish are compatable with each other).

Awesome! Is this your first tank at this size? What other tanks do you have?

No this is my first tank, although I did have a Red Eared Slider Turtle at one point a long time ago, not really in the same league as a 50 gal fish tank.. lol.

I think the reason I'm so interested in fish is because my dad has always had fish, he actually has two tanks right now (Goldfish in one and a mixture in another) so that must be where my desire comes from.

There's a few options.
Cichlid only tanks like Africans or fish like convicts. The tanks a bit small for an oscar, etc.
Community tank with fish like angels or dwarf cichlids, gouramis with tetras, rasboras, barbs, loaches, small plecos, inverts, etc.
Goldfish only tank.
Or saltwater.
It all depends what your interested in. Most people newer to the hobby like to keep community tanks. It gives you a chance to have lots of different kinds of fish in the one tank (not all community fish are compatable with each other).

OK You've given me a good basis to start. I'm already liking the Tiger Barb's, they have a nice look as do the Rasbora's. I think what I'll do is start compiling my 'list' and then post on the forums to get some feedback.

AquNewbie said:
OK You've given me a good basis to start. I'm already liking the Tiger Barb's, they have a nice look as do the Rasbora's. I think what I'll do is start compiling my 'list' and then post on the forums to get some feedback.

Good idea. :)

I have a 37 that I am using as a tiger barb tank. It still has a few other species including a raphael cat and 2 gouramis, but when I find another place for them (cough*needanothertank cough*) I will have a tiger barb only planted tank. I have regular tigers, albino, strawberry and jade. Until I get my 90 reef set up, this is my favorite tank.

Back
Top Bottom