Natural Sunlight for Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw this at the fair today...I live in a townhouse but I thought this might be pretty cool someday. Natural sunlight reflected into your room from the roof of your house. I always heard direct sunlight on your tank wasn't good though and I'm wondering how this would really effect the tank if at all. Any thoughts??

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440891540.170308.jpg

Lots of this stuff in application already!
Both FW and marine!
AOL Search
^Those are true solar power^

I wonder if there is an "acclimation " period?
I have a spec 5 with my parents now that gets only natural light and has hair algae.
Many call out sunlight.
It works for all the fish and plants we DON'T keep in glass boxes?

Hmmm. Direct sunlight on the glass has always caused issues for me.. Piped into an open top tank with plant of co2 could be a fun experiment..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I first got involved with this forum, there was a member who had a tank lit only by natural sunlight through something similar...though I don't recall exactly how he did it. I know he was keeping some coral, but don't remember all what since it has been years.

Hmmm. Direct sunlight on the glass has always caused issues for me.. Piped into an open top tank with plant of co2 could be a fun experiment..

I thought this also.
Then thought about those tanks in pics that had glass tops?
What if the water touching the glass is the problem and not just the glass?

The links you posted show some pretty amazing tanks. I love how they built the systems and I really wish we could ask some of them how the tanks are doing being lit this way as the only light source.

When I have some time I'll search the Internet more for info

Same as well. I've had one side of a tank get more natural sunlight and that side always has more algae on the glass (usually GSA).

Back
Top Bottom