Need advice on purchasing a new skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandmann2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to purchase a new protein skimmer. I am just wondering which one I should get. It has been suggested that I get either one of the following:

1 - CoraLife Super Skimmer 220g
2 - MSX-200 or Octo MSX200
3 - Hydor Performer 600.

Does anyone have one of these skimmers and if so what are your thoughts both pro and con?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Stay away from the Coralife ones. The Reef Octopus skimmers are excellent. I used the have the bh-100 and it was fantastic. Was rated for a 75G and i had it on my 55G and it worked wonders. Still works, i just don't have the 55G anymore.

I would strongly suggest going with a Reef Octopus, they use high-grade material and their skimmers are just great.

What skimmer are we talking about here? If it's the reef octopus then no.. the pump that my skimmer came with is an amazing pump. It's a great little machine and works fantastically. If that pump broke for any reason.. i would have rather replaced it with the same model rather than any other one.

What size is your tank and what's in it (and planned). A skimmer (like lights) is one of those areas where you want to get the best you can afford.

Currently the tank is a 110g. I need to get the tank drilled so I can go to a sump/ref or looking at a pre-drilled 120 with dual overflows.

Right now I have 2-perc clowns, 2- yellow tailed damsels, 1 6 line wrasse, 4- turbo snails, 4-green legged hermit crabs and 1 red hermit. I had 2 yellow tangs and 1 purple tank but lost them when I did a complete WC and new SB last weekend.

I want to replace them but the tank is going through a cycling process now.
I also want to get some frags for corals, anemones, etc. but I'm not going to add anything until I have the sump and everything is working well.

I'm very happy with my Octopus HOB. Hopefully they improved their instruction sheet though, it was atrocious.

For that size tank no question I would go with an In-sump or in cabinet, next to sump model Octopus or similar today.

I know I started this thread with sort of the same question, but I am confused with all the reading I've done over the last few days.

Is the SWC Xtreme 200 skimmer the same as the Octopus or the MSX200? If so do you think it is strong enough for a 120 g tank with a 65 g sump/refugium?

I live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and I'm woundering if I can purchase this at a LFS or is it a strictly online purchase?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom