Need an honest answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just need an opinion of this light fixture. I am looking at getting some more lighting for my 75 gallon tank and am not really to the point where I feel like spending 400 on a fixture. I have debated halides but dont like the thought of all the heat. I plan on keeping my canopy on so I am also in the market for a fan setup so any suggestions on that would be awesome.

Link to the fixture. 48" 4 ft T5 Lighting Aquarium Light Hood Marine Reef Coral 432W 8 Bulbs Timer | eBay

Thanks
Kody

I also looked at that fixture. :) The only drawback is it doesnt have a splash guard and no mounting legs.

But if youre going with a canopy install I don't think any of the drawbacks matter. In my opinion I would most likely buy it.

Thank you, and I was kinda weary at first but I can't find anything bad about them so who knows, maybe I'll go for it and write a review.

Do you think 8 is overkill, or should I go with 6 bulbs instead?

Kody

I would probably go for over kill as thats how I am. lol But you can control the bulbs by sets of two so you could always keep 2 bulbs off if its too much

i would try and find one with single lamp reflectors. hydrofarm sells them for around $200 with 6500k lamps
Hydrofarm FLP48UN 4FT 8 Lamp T5 Fluorescent Grow Light - Plantlighting Hydroponics

it might be a little to wide for your tank though, the 6 lamp will get the job done well and fit fine

as for over kill if it had single lamp reflectors i would say yes but it has two lamps per 1 reflector so the PAR wouldn't be as high 6 lamps will be more then plenty with SLRs

Last edited:
Looking at the fixture you put up there, the width ( which is what I am worried about) is 24 inches. I'm pretty sure I could make it fit but it would be a pain, on the other hand the fixture I posted originally has a width of 17 inches... Any thought with that in mind?

Back
Top Bottom