Need Big Help with WATERFLOW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMagic

Aquarium Advice Freak
im done building everything for my sump.
the pvc overflow and outflow.

i bought a 1000gph pump using 3/4 pvc pipe. *wrong move i did*
after buying everything n building everything, i found out i should of use 1" pipe for a pump that big.

what i did so far is, i used 1 valve balls on the out tube. i try turning it down to slow the flow up but seem like it only work for 2 hrs ...

at 2:30am i check my tank water line, was where i left it, after 1 hr n 30 mins at 4:00am i check n my water line was right on top of the tank, lucky enough it didnt over flow into the floor. i heavnt try turning the flow down some more duh to its late here, right now is 4:45am so ill try tomorr after work and see if it work or not.

option 2: i was thinking maybe ill get a new pump same brand 500 or 700 GPH. but then i bough so much 3/4 PVC elbow, pipe, and Tee. i dont want it to go a waste.

if i do get the bigger pipe(1")
it going to cost around 20 buck.

1 1" pipe = $2.50 ( i need 2) so its $5.00
a lot 1" elbow = about 45 or 50 cent each.*say i need 12* its $6.00
1 1" Tee = 60 cent, not sure.
2 1" Ball valve = $5.13 each so 2 will be $10.26

total is around $21.00 - $23.00.

any idea will be great, this is my first DIY pvc overflow/wet-dry/sump.

Instead of choking down your flow from your pump, try putting a T and a valve and run some of the water back into the sump. This will reduce the flow into your DT without all the back pressure.

are you using an overflow box or stand pipe,it certainly sounds like your flow pipe from your tank is too small or you flow rate from your overflow box is too small,the only section of your systems water level which drops and raises should be your return pump section.Any pics

Instead of choking down your flow from your pump, try putting a T and a valve and run some of the water back into the sump. This will reduce the flow into your DT without all the back pressure.

I'll give that a try.

Thanks foe the advice

are you using an overflow box or stand pipe,it certainly sounds like your flow pipe from your tank is too small or you flow rate from your overflow box is too small,the only section of your systems water level which drops and raises should be your return pump section.Any pics

its a stand pipe.
I'm at work so ill upload pic when I get home.

I'm using 3/4 on both.
Maybe ill used 2 overflow or drew 2 stand pipe using a tee.

I don't think the problem is the return pump being too big. What size tank? The problem is that the stand pipe/drain should have been larger, like 1.5". If I were you at this point I would build another stand pipe so you have dual overflows. I am all about redundancy and built 2x overflows in my tank too. If you are already having issues now with water not draining quick enough, just imagine when a little algae builds up in there and restricts water a little bit.

That's what I was thinking too, once I get home ill build another stand pipe.
well it work if instead of building another stand pipe. I add another drain pipe to the drain pipe already up.

That's what I was thinking too, once I get home ill build another stand pipe.
well it work if instead of building another stand pipe. I add another drain pipe to the drain pipe already up.

I don't know. Then you would still be limited to whatever water can fit/drain into one 3/4" pipe, right?

ryshark is correct. Water will flow only as much as the smallest pipe will allow.

Done building the other stand pipe. Waiting for it to cure. Is there any way to break lose the once once u clue them?

Got a question. How do u stop the loud annoying sound from the.stand pipe/ air pipe?

Back
Top Bottom