Need Canister Filter Quality & Quietness NEXT to the Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordie_Z

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My mother just purchased a 40 gal. tank for a turtle (so it'll use a filter for a 100 gallon fish tank). Spatial constraints require it to be on a shelf about three inches off the ground. The directions for the Eheim Classic, Filstar XP, Fluval 406, Marineland C-Series, and Hydor Prime, ALL said the canister had to be below the level of the bottom of the tanks apparently due to them being "gravity fed." So...

Are there any canister filters for 80 - 120 gal. fish tanks that can be set on the same plane as the bottom of the tank and function with the efficiency they were designed to? Other options - maybe a hybrid power/canister filter (she does not want one that hangs on the back)?

Thank you in advance.

Gordie_Z

Hi GordieZ -

Welcome to Aquarium Advice. You have asked a stumper question.

You are right that the instructions for correct function (of any of the canister filters I am familiar with,) want the unit to be below the bottom. But I think the top could be a number of inches above the bottom. With the majority of the unit (maybe 2/3rds or 3/4s) below grade.

Many of them are 12-16 inches tall. After sitting on the shelf, how tall would it be compared to the bottom of the tank (how many inches above the bottom level would it stick up) If it could fit on the shelf that way?

Turtles do need really good filtration to assist in staying healthy.

Maybe someone else has done this before...??? Anyone else know?

You could always call the manufacturer to see if they have any confirmation about this or if they have a good idea.

Thanks, Gave Up

Thanks Autumnksy,

Because the tank was a breeder it was wide. So the water would have been only 10 or so inches. Trying to find a canister for 2x or more what would be needed for fish whose top would be below 10" was not working out (turtle folk say 2x or more what would be needed for the fully filled tank with fish even it if it's only partially filled for the turtle)

Not sure if I explained this... The reason the 75 gal. tank had to be so low was because it is the bottom one on a two-tank rack. SO, given the choice of underfiltering one turtle tank or moving the furniture around, she's chosen to move the furniture around so each tank will be on its own rack and the filters can be sized and positioned appropriately.

Thanks again, I think we can consider this thread closed.

Back
Top Bottom