need heater recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up my 50g tank, I have water in it and it is cycling. The problem I have is the water will not drop below 78-80 degrees. I have a 300W heater i received when I purchased a Fluval 405. I am thinking the heater is too big. I have the heater turned all the way down to the lowest setting and it still periodically comes on, even though water temp is higher then the heater setting.

The Heater is a Hydor Theo 300w and was brand new when I got it.

I am guessing a 200W is better suited, but what is a good reasonable heater to use?

An overpowered heater shouldn't overheat the water... Heaters are either "on" or "off", higher powered heaters just have more power when they're on IE they can heat a larger tank, or a smaller tank quicker.

But higher power heaters are still on/off controlled by a thermostat, it should turn off when it's at the right temp..

It could be a faulty thermostat, the Theo (like most heaters) uses a bimetallic strip to turn the heater on and off. Occasionally the making and breaking of the circuit can cause a weld to stick the strip and hence the heater sticks on.

I had a Hydor Theo that I replaced because it was overheating my tank also it was the right size etc, I was convinced it was stuck on.

If you unplug the heater and let the tank temperature drop then plug it back it does it overheat the water again?

I had a Hydor Theo that I replaced because it was overheating my tank also it was the right size etc, I was convinced it was stuck on.

If you unplug the heater and let the tank temperature drop then plug it back it does it overheat the water again?

I will try unplugging the heater next to see what happens

Heater Question

Good morning Jeff...

I have several 55 G tanks and use two 100 watt heaters in each set at 76 degrees at opposite ends of the tank and the tank temps stay between 74 to 78 degrees year round. My house temp is set at 68 in winter and 78 in summer and the tanks are fine.

I think 300 watts is a lot, but you may have need of it in your part of the country.

B

I unplugged the heater today. With the heater all the way down it is in the 'ok' range of 78 deg.

the ambient of the room is 68-70 (finished basement)

What bothers me is turning the heater up to a temp below the tank water temp still turns the heater on. I need to replace the heater I think, but I want the temp to drop down. I don't have a hood on it yet and when I added water I add cold water I will wait and see how it does with no heat

Tank Heater

Hello again Jeff,

Most tropical fish are comfortable in water heated to the 76 to 80 degree range, so you're within that range. If the water temp starts to approach 80, then you may consider setting up a small fan directed at the tank until you get a reliable heater. If you can position the fan so it blows across the water surface, that would be best. I have several large tanks in my basement and the temp stays a pretty constant 72 degrees, so I do need a couple of small tank heaters. It doesn't take much to raise and maintain the water temp a few more degrees.

B

Thanks B!

I emailed the MFR of the heater to see if I can get a replacement. I have it unplugged to see if the temp drops more..

Either way I will probably get a new heater, I just have not had a chance yet

temp was at 71 or so today with no heater, I plugged the heater in and it ended up back at 78. I realized I did not have it and the lowest setting so I adjusted it for that. I still need to get a heater to swap but I want to see if I get a response from the MFR.

Back
Top Bottom