Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I just found out my fluvial filter hose burst. Now I have about 3 inches of water on the floor, from my 55G. If you look in my gallery and take a look at my stand, you can see I have limited space for a fuge/sump. The right side is where the filter is.
Other than replacing the hose, with a more sturdy one. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and try to fit a sump/fuge down there. The problem is I don't know how much space I have. I can find out in about an hour.

Sorry to hear that :( Average inside space of a 55 gal stand is 10"-11" wide so you're going to be limited on what you can fit down there if your stand isn't custom built. You could get a HOB fuge or build your own acrylic sump.

It's not a tank stand. It is a (I can't think of the name) but you put silverware in the top drawers and the plates go in the bottom. It's older and built very well. I just looked at my gallery and there aren't any good pics of it.
How do I add an image from my desktop?

Cool, I don't have a decent LFS that would sell a HOB or undertank sump/fuge or would be at about 130% above what I would get online.

Ok, the space I have under the tank is 27 x 18 (and 7 little lines) so almost 18.5 inches. I'm thinking if I do the sump/fuge, I would run the phosban reactor in that instead of on the back of my tank.

I think a custom built acrylic sump would be nice. I've always wanted to, but don't have the talent.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your hose break. :(

I found the culprit. I found two little fang marks about the size of the "little black terror". I went and bought a noew hose and I think I will put some PVC around it. I lost about 5 inches of water!

Ouch, and it's saltwater too!! That's alot of cleanup. Ribbed hoses are a bit thinner than standard flexible tubing. If you have the time, you could even plumb your tank with PVC pipe, and for the small places that you attach the PVC to attachments such as the intake and outtake from the filter and the tank, you could use some tubing insulation. That should keep your animal from biting the pipe through.

Yeah, that's a good idea. He is also the one that like to drink the tank wayer.

yeah that foam pipe insulation is good stuff. it also works for your electrical cords if your cat likes to chew... i find my cates hate to chew pipe insulation...:)

Cool, thanks all! I also had my lower radiator bose bust on the way home. I got it all fixed. What a Friday!

Gee what luck. Sorry to hear. I always worry about hoses bursting or leaking.

Back
Top Bottom