Need Help Building Custom Light setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hareclub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got these lights from my step-dad and they came off of his old custom built 55gal tank. I have a 55gal tank, and I have no idea how I should go about making a top. The length of the lights are 37" long and 9" wide. The top of my tank is 47" by 12". I have 2 filters that need 12" by 2" and 13.5" by 2". That gives me just 1" wide of extra space for a top to open. Dont really have enough money to just buy some lights as they are expensive. I could possibly save some width by putting the lights closer together (there are 3 lights) but idk about that. Pretty new to this, and heres some pictures

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Im going to unscrew the lights from the current top and I can attach them to whatever top Im going to use.
Also on my tank im probally going to have to cut the middle connector thingy off.
Also sorry that the picture of the lights looks nasty, I havent cleaned them. They've been in a shelf for like 5 years. Still work perfectly thought.

How Handy are you?....You could build a canopy and attached those lights as they are to the inside?

The only issue is the HOT filters I see but you can build around them...

If I do a canopy do i need glass infront of the bulbs to protect them?
Also the more I look into it, are HOT filters in a reef tank pointless?

Back
Top Bottom