Need help finding a Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a 30 gallon setup (intended to be F/W) and forgot the darn hood/lid at the sellers house. I have the light, just not the hood itself.

Is it possible to JUST buy the Hood ala carte and NOT the light?

i say leave the hood off anyways. i dont have a hood or glass lid on any of my tanks ;) But if you must, glass lids are much better looking imo than hoods anyways

i say leave the hood off anyways. i dont have a hood or glass lid on any of my tanks ;) But if you must, glass lids are much better looking imo than hoods anyways

Do you have any recommendations on where to buy one?

How would I cut into the back for the HOB filter, the heater cord or the air lines?

well, glass lids dont cover the whole back, theyre usually about 2" shy of covering the whole tank, then have a hinge with the front 3-4" so that you can lift it up. Most lfs have them. I know Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products have them. Do you have fish that jump?

Not yet, dont know if I plan on getting any either....

Thinking of a bala shark or 2, a gourami, maybe some neon tetras. Ive downsized from a 55g, so Im not sure yet what my (new 30g) tank is capable of. Need to do a little more research on that one :D

well research is always a good thing. go ahead and forget you ever heard about bala sharks. They get way too big for a 30g tank.

:( I used to have 2 in my 55g tank and they did grow pretty fast!!

I guess we'll see..in the meantime, Im going to look into the glass lid idea.

Where can I find 'just' the lid for the light I have now? Theres got to be a place somewhere!

Is there a place that sells the non-glass ones? Like the one I need to go with my light fixture?

For clarification, my light looks just like this one:
oupnae.jpg

And I want the piece that goes underneath it, preferrably the plastic OEM one.

That light is meant to sit on top of a glass lid. You can prob mount that inside a canopy, but you will have to build it yourself. Standard canopies won't hold an enclosed fixture like that.

Another option would be a wood canopy meant for reef lights. These are big things that sit on top of the tank. I have seen them at PetSmart, but they are sold with the stand, not separately.

Personally, I'd go with a glass top, or leave the tank open top & hang the fixture from the ceiling.

That light is meant to sit on top of a glass lid. You can prob mount that inside a canopy, but you will have to build it yourself. Standard canopies won't hold an enclosed fixture like that.

Another option would be a wood canopy meant for reef lights. These are big things that sit on top of the tank. I have seen them at PetSmart, but they are sold with the stand, not separately.

Personally, I'd go with a glass top, or leave the tank open top & hang the fixture from the ceiling.

Thanks.

I got smart, called the seller and went to her house today and picked up the lid.

For the time being, I do not want a glass top. I have no problems with the plastic/glass hybrid top that came with the light, as a kit.

Back
Top Bottom