Need Help Leveling my 150 Gallon FishTank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, Recently I bought a 150 gallon fish tank of a family. they were using same stand for 10 years and they had hard foam in between the stand and tank sitting flat, anyways I have a problem, i got the tank sitting flat on the stand and bought brand new foam and sitting in between the tank and stand and i used a level to level all 4 sides and it is almost perfect. PROBLEM I have is that all 4 corners are sitting good on the stand but the middle part. Please watch this video to better understand what I mean. I really need help to sit this up.
Please watch the full video so you know what i mean.

leveling my 150 gallon fish tank - YouTube

Wow! What height do you get from stand leg toe to tank floor on corners and then in the middle (equal to leg toe to tank floor)? I'm wondering if the stand has sagged over time in the middle of the stand and the empty tank has "sprung" back upwards? Got to say I'm curious on what happened to cause it but sorry, I don't have a solution.

I have setup the tank now and has full water. I was told by people that the middle will go down and will be no space once water goes in. but that did not happen. I still have space in between. i am wondering if this may cause any cracks in future.

U need to cut the styrofoam to fit the exact bottom of the glass bottom. The black surround should not set on the foam. Just the glass. U probably need a second piece of foam stacked on the other piece under the tank. That glass should be tempered which helps stop cracking under normal conditions. The water pressure is also applied 6 dimensionally. That is, in all directions. In an aquarium situation, it doesn't affect the top of the tank. If the sides can withstand the water pressure, then the bottom will to. Adding substrate and decor increases the gravitational pull due to the mass/weight of the substrate and decor. That is where the styro comes in. It should be fine. Just don't hit it with a ball bat. And nothing is ok if it gets shoke by an earthquake or hit by a tornado. This side of extreme abuse, the tank should be ok. Another thing though is to make sure that the tank stand isn't warped. If it is, all bets are off.

Hi, yes I would be worried on cracks as well. Next was my next question on if the stand is warped as well? If so can you add extra supports.

no its as stright as it can be, maybe the ends are abit higher, but i did some search on google , they say most stands come like that.

Actually, I would put a piece of ply wood under the tank and put the styro between the ply wood and bottom of the tank.

no its as stright as it can be, maybe the ends are abit higher, but i did some search on google , they say most stands come like that.

Odd, wow again. Well I'd have the tank centre supported somehow either with foam, etc. My stand is pretty level and then I have the foam underneath just to even out any small lumps and bumps. I know glass is strong but.... Spoke with one of the guys here and he thought the glass and stand were fine, it was the cement cracking was a concern. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom