Need help setting up my canister filter (Eheim 2213).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am preparing a 38g puffer fish tank, on which I will be using an Eheim 2213 filter. This is not my first fish tank, but it is my first canister filter. I find the directions that came with it to be very vague, and I had a few questions.

Questions:
#1) What are the two gray nozzle looking things at the bottom left of this picture? Which line do they go in, and why?

eheim.jpg

#2) Do I need to use the provided intake tube (the green U shaped one) and return tube (the green straight one)? They're kind of ugly, IMO, as the tank is going to look like a saltwater setup, and green doesn't go too well.
I see on a lot of tank in stores that they use PVC "U's"? What other options do I have?

#3) I am planning on using aragonite (basically very coarse sand) as substrate. Do I need a prefilter on the intake to avoid damage to the Eheim?

#4) I am going to be using an inline heater. If the nozzle things in question (1) go in the return line, should I place the heater before (closer to the filter) or after them (closer to the tank)?

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks.

1. Those are double valves to stop or start water flow through the tubes. Put one on each line.

2. You do not have to use the spray bar if you dont want to, but you need the intake one. If you can find another brand that fits the hosing no reason why you couldn't use it. Against a black background the green doesn't really stand out.

3. A prefilter is always a good idea, but if you keep the intake a few inches from the sand you should be fine.

4. I beleive the inline heater goes on the return line.

I just actually setup a 2215 classic filter myself. If you have troubles, let me know and I can take a few pictures of the setup for you. The instructions I got were pretty bad, so it took some hunting around for images. Let me know and I can send pics.

rich311k pretty much answered everything, but i just wanted to add a few comments.

First, even if sand entered the filter, it wouldn't harm it. the water is filter first before getting pumped. IE the sand will be filtered out.

secondly, Eheim makes inlet and outlet pickups in black/transparent color, but they are like 18 bucks a peice. seach for Eheim on petsmarts web page. I have them and love them. it's very hard to see the tubes in my tank.

I think Eheim calls them "installation sets?" I'm glad you like them, I've been lookng for opinions on them. (Eheim has them listed here).

I was thinking of picking up a set of those, mainly on the output side since the "bend" that goes over the back fo the tank is hard plastic. I tend to have a kink in my tube from time to time.

I am also looking into packing in some extra generic "filter floss" for just a bit more filtration. I ditched the charcoal filter as per a lot of people here at AA. Is more floss a good/bad idea?

mellofone said:
I think Eheim calls them "installation sets?" I'm glad you like them, I've been lookng for opinions on them. (Eheim has them listed here).

I was thinking of picking up a set of those, mainly on the output side since the "bend" that goes over the back fo the tank is hard plastic. I tend to have a kink in my tube from time to time.

I am also looking into packing in some extra generic "filter floss" for just a bit more filtration. I ditched the charcoal filter as per a lot of people here at AA. Is more floss a good/bad idea?

here is a picture of my tank with both the "installation sets" .

the pickup is behind the driftwood with moss on it and the outlet is in the top left. they are pretty hard to see and again i really like them.

more floss would be ok as long as it doesn't effect the flow rate to much.

Back
Top Bottom