Need help with ballast for MH lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a light fixture that I got on E-Bay about 4-5 years ago from a seller that is no longer in business (at least not under the same name - Hombby). It came with two ballasts, one for each 150 watt MH light in the fixture. One of the ballasts recently went out an I'm hoping that someone could tell me what to look for because I'm the furthest thing from an electircian and don't know what to look for. The sticker on the side says:
Line current 2.35 amps (Max) at 120 V
Max Output Voltage: 920Vpk.

Any suggestions on where to get one? I'm willing to switch types (brands) if necessary.

here you go-
Lumatek 150/175/250W Dual Voltage
these you can adjust up if you feel the need. i used to have one of those hombby fixtures years ago and found that the ballasts didn't push the lamps as good as others, so you'll be pleasantly surprised with one of these.

Thanks for the info Mr. X. Like I said, i'm new to looking for ballasts. Do I basically just look for a 150 watt ballast and not need to worry about the other stuff on the sticker (i.e. 2.35 amps, 120v, etc.)? Also, do they make a ballast where I can hook up both MH lights into the same ballast (2 plugs in one ballast)? If so, what would I look for?

Thanks again,
Keith

Some companies make a single unit that powers 2 lamps, but it's not common. You can purchase magnetic or electronic ballasts. Either one will power your fixture. Magnetic ballasts are thought to push the lamps a little better, and electronic ballasts are said to use a little less electricity. Amperage and voltage are going to be the same on all i think.

Back
Top Bottom