Need Help with heater!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MickieFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok.. I have the heater from WalMart.. 100 W in a 29 G tank. 2 days ago I did 25% PWC and forgot to turn the heater off. It was only exposed about 2 inches below the "water line" marking. I kept an eye on the temp and it stayed steady 78 degrees (using one of those sticky therm.) . Today I put in a new CoraLife digital thermometer, and when I read it, it said 80.4 degrees! I still had the sticky on, so I look, and sure enough, it read 80 as well. So I turned it down a bit, checked an hour later and it read 80.8 degrees! Now.. how much should I turn this thing down?? It has degree markings on it.. so a degree at the time? How often?? Could it be overheating? ARGH! I know that changing temp too quickly can stress the fish.. HELP!!!

Oh yeah!! Where in the aquarium should I put the probe for the thermometer? Right now I have it on the total opposite side from the heater, about halfway down the side.. Thanks!

That's a good place for the probe. :)

80.4 is nothing to worry about, but the fact that it is going up in temperature could be a faulty heater. Lower the temp a degree at a time, and open up your hood to let some of the heat escape. See if that helps.

I agree with DT. 80.4 is nothing to worry about, but I would lower it back down to 76 one degree at a time. If it wont' budge, you'll need to get a new heater. I suggest the Visi-Therm Stealth. You won't have the problems with the heater breaking if it comes out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom