need help with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I have decided to start a sw/reef tank. I have a 125 g tank and I have visited a LFS to get some advice. I have known the people that own this LFS for years and pretty much trust the advice. They will however try to get you to buy some extra products here and there. My question is he had told me that for a 125g tank I need this light setup for about $1400.00 that he can get for me in about a week. I have been looking around on the net and found a nice light setup for about $400.00. Would this be enough light for my tank? 72" 785w metal halide system,
3x175w double ended HQI 20000k
4x65w compact flo. actinic blue
12 moon lights.
I would like to keep a variety of things such as:
coral, clams, mushrooms, LR, LS, and of course a few fish.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Melissa

Wow, that is a very impressive lighting system. You would be able to house anything you could imagine in your tank under those things. The 20k will give you a more blue look, though.

Hi Melissa.
Would you care to share where you get all that for $400. That sounds like something I'd be interested for my 100 gal.

Check your other thread. Someone posted that this brand does not have the best reputation.

Good Luck,
Brian

thanx I see that I could cover that with glass I am just not sure if that would be blocking any light that I might need. Kind of defeating my purpose.
Melissa

Just last night I spoke with a very successful reefer (that I met on this board) on the phone for an hour about lighting and other issues. He said the Odessea was junk and stay away. Although the prices are very attractive it may be a case of "you get what you pay for"

Thanx Robert,
I am going to look around today at some electrical supply stores today and see what I can find out. Because I want to build a canopy and I would rather install my lights in the canopy. I just dont want wires and everything hanging all over the place. I am real funny about ordering anything over the internet anyway because the few times I had I got something completely different than what I had ordered. also I know basic wiring but I am noy sure how hard it would be to wire my own lights.
Melissa

Melissa, what I remember from 15 years ago was that the electrical supply houses don't carry and don't even know where to order this hobbyist type stuff. Which, really kind of suprised me. I have an old childhood friend who owns an electrical supply house and he told me I should order from the ads in magazines or lfs which is what I did. I built a nice wood canopy and mounted my own lights with water tight endcaps and put the ballasts down below in the stand.

It's not difficult at all. Most ballasts will come with a digram showing you exactly how to connect it.

Thank You Again,
For the info. Have you ever ordered anything from ebay? If so did you get what you ordered? I have had bad luck ordereing over the net.
Melissa

In about 150 transaction on ebay I got stiffed twice. Look for alot of good feedback and you will usually have no problems.

Good Luck,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom