Need Help With the Gel for Aquarium Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased the Hydor Magic World background for a Harry Potter-themed aquarium (16 gal Aqueon bow front). The background is really nice, but I can't figure out how the gel that came with it is supposed to work. The directions on the bottle say "Follow accompanying directions carefully." Problem is, there are no accompanying directions! Just the bottle of gel.

How do I apply the gel? To the background? To the back of the tank? Do I apply the gel to the entire background, or just around the edges? Should I use a paintbrush to spread the gel, or would that keep it from being smooth? I'm seriously considering using clear packing tape at this point, LOL!

Any help would be appreciated. I've never used a background before.

Dear Twoapenything,

I'm not sure about Hydor gel, but I know how to use seaview so...If the gel feels like a thin version of hair gel as does seaview here's what you do:
* roll the background the opposite way fasten with a rubber band to enable it to lie flat overnight;
* spread papers on a table and place background, right side up
* spread the gel thinly over the right side of the background
* carefully attach the background to the back of the tank, starting with one side at the top
* use a credit card or plastic scraper to get ride of air bubbles'
* sometimes it helps to actually position the top and bottom edges of the background under the rims of the aquariums (usually it can just slide in there)

Hope this helps,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom