need HOB filter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimluann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry, I posted this to the wrong area, so you may read this twice

I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank that has been running for about 2 months. I have 8 platys, 6 zebra danios, 6 rasboras and an algae eater.

The tank has a Marineland Magnum 250H HOB filter and a Powerhead 402 connected to a UG filter. (I got the setup from a lfs that used it for 5-7 years) About a week ago, the HOB filter started to make a clicking noise. I took it apart to see if something got hung up in the impeller area. It did not. I put it back in service and still makes the same noise.

I have started to read about new filters to replace the 250H. I am leaning towards the Emperor 280, however, the recommended tank size is 30-50 gallons. The Emperor 400 is not that much more in price, but it moves a lot more water.

I have two basic questions, plus follow ups:
If I get the 280, will it be enough?

If not should I get the 400 and perhaps unplug the UG filter?

Or, I am very open to other suggestions or recommendations.

Also, feel free to offer other fish that I might add.

Thanks in advance

Jim

This is what I would do.

Scrap the UGF and the 250 marineland HOB.

Print this out from big al's
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...4/cl1/marinelandemperorbiowheel400powerfilter

Call around to any LFS in the area and see who price matches and take them that add. The LFS here was selling the emperor400s for like 89.99 a piece but I got two pricematched for less than what they wanted for one HOB 400 filter.

UGF are a waste of time all they do is collect waste and store it under the gravel so you have a huge nitrate sponge. I would deff remove it and you would be alot better off with the emperor400s and exspecially since you can get them for so cheap you will def be happy with them I was kinda sceptical but I love them now and wouldnt even pick a canister filter over them.

Thanks so much for your answer. I have a couple of follow up questions:

1) What is the best way to "scrap" the UGF?

2) What is the best way to migrate over to the new filter?

3) Is it better to have the one 400 or two 280s?

I would say two 280s so you could have intakes on both sides of your tank but that is just me I am sure some will disagree. I don't know the best way to remove the ugf but I would take it out regardless if you just have to pul it out get all the decor out and syphon some water out of your tank into a large icechest or rubbermaid container to keep your fish safe while you remove and then remove and do a good gravel vac and run your filters for a while to get everything out that was under your ugf it will most definitely cloud the hell out of your water. If you can run an airstone in the container the fish are in and they should be ok for a while one of my oscars was in an icechest for about 8 hours with a airstone and she was fine.

I just read your post and would be interested on hearing what you have setup. I just added an Emperor 400 and a Magnum HOT 250 to my 55 gallon.

How is your current setup running? I absolutely love the E400!

I personally would go with a Rena XP2 or 3 cannister filter. I have one and I could not be any more thrilled with the performance it has given my tanks. I have had the HOT Magnum and the Fluval's before, but nothing really compares to how easy this one is to use/maintain/setup. It is very adaptable to different media.

In your case, the XP2 would give enough flow for your tank, but I would go with the 3 just for the extra media room. You can never have too much bio filtering going on, and you could even add a nitrasorb or swop out media in the extra 3rd basket as needed.

Also, did I mention that they are silent? The spraybar can be used for surface agitation or just aim it down into the water if you have plenty of oxygen in your tank.

My 2 fish.

The Emporer 400 would be good for a 55 gal. It wouls turn the tank over 7-8 times an hour. I had 2 Emporer 400's on a 55 gal African Cichlid tank and it stayed crystal clear! Also, it would be a little less actual maintenance on your part.

Back
Top Bottom