Need ideas for a 55 gallon freshwater set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbc1989

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

I just bought my first "really big tank" a 55g tank (48L 13W 28H) and I'm probably months away from actually setting it up because of money issues but thought I would post here to get some ideas for the future.

Planning on setting it up as sand substrate,driftwood/rockcaves, planted, community fish (lots of smaller sized fish), shrimp and dwarf crayfish tank. I have 10 and 20 gallon tanks set up in a simular way. I'm not a total novice but have made some mistakes in the past and would like to avoid as many as possilbe with such a big tank.

I'd like to know what filtration would be best for this type of tank....all I'm used to is the "back of the tank" overflow filters.

Also would like a nice lighting system that would give me the wattage for healthy plants and to show off the colors of my fish the best. Looking for medium to high light. Considering LED's but know very much about them.

Would be interested in DIY projects that could help cut down costs or items from a good lower cost source.

Thanks for any information :)

:thanks:

Since you have time, and if you'd be ok with doing done research. I would do Malawi cichlids, they're very colorful and not too expensive themselves but they get to a decent size (5 inches or so)

TYVM for the suggestions--rainbow shark was already in consideration LOL but please keep in mind....it will be MONTHS before this tank ever gets a drop of water in it!!! Must get the basics set up first.......

Back
Top Bottom