Need lighting advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need a new light for my 25g.

First how many watts does a stock t8 light have.
Will it be enough for wisteria Anubis and water sprite if not.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap t5 for my tank?
Any links will be appreciated.

The t8 bulbs that came with my tank were I think about 15 watts.

Aquatraders has very cheap t5 HO. You get what you pay for here. aquatraders.com

and fishneedit.com has cheap fixtures that are a lot better quality than aquatraders. Lots of members love them. fishneedit.com

If you click on the link above posted by Convict2161, I have the first one. The coralife fixture and I love it!

So It looks light 100 bucks for a decent t5

And the regular t8 dish out only 18 watts that's not enough for low light plants is it?

Hmm idk what to do.

For basic low light plants you can get away with a couple of t8 bulbs in the daylight spectrum. If you want to keep it cheap go with an oddysea fixture, they work good for basic planted tank needs. The fishneedit (and catalina) type lights are more on the higher end of lighting fixtures as far as quality and output goes, I wouldn't bother unless you plan to go high tech later down the road.

I really would like to not spend so much on lights since low light plants are fine for me do they sell double light fixture in 24inch?

jetajockey said:
Look on ebay for 24" t5ho fixtures and you'll find a good list of options, starting at around $40. I've never gotten that size fixture so I have no personal experience with it.

Wow that's awesome. Do you recommend a seller or a brand?

Not in particular, I've got the 3 bulb oddysea fixture in the 4ft length and it's been great, but I haven't tried the others. Everyone I know that has them has no complaints though.

Back
Top Bottom