Need new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joemama16341

Aquarium Advice Regular
I converted over to saltwater several months back. I used as much of my freshwater equipment as I possibly could to cut down on cost. I am ready to upgrade my filter now. What kind should I get? From what I have been reading it seems like I need some kind of wet dry filter with bio balls. But I am open for virtually anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh how does a wet dry filter work anyway?

Stay away from traditional wet dry filters using bioballs. You can use this same setup but replace bioballs with LR rubble. The only other change would be to keep the LR submerged. The bioballs tend to increase nitrate production over time.

The best filtering setup would be 1.5 to 2 lbs LR per gallon and about 4 to 6 inches of deep sand bed. Add a good protein skimmer and that should be all the filtering you need.

Just add a PH or two to give a good flow. They usually can be fitted with a sponge(prefilter) that can give you some mechanical filtration for particulate waste.

I have a 3 inch deep sand bed with 88 pounds of liverock but I would feel more comfortable having a filter in there as well to help get rid of as much pollutants as possible. I also have 2 small powerheads and will be adding at least two more at the end of the month

I use a protien skimmer, hang on the back refugium, and good clean up crew all is well in tank of mine. This is what I did and its working also really quiet.

I have a 3 inch deep sand bed with 88 pounds of liverock but I would feel more comfortable having a filter in there as well to help get rid of as much pollutants as possible.

Right, this is the point of the skimmer and live rock. Skimmers completely remove waste from the tank in the collection cup, and the live rock breaks down waste naturally. Filter like power filters and wet/dry's are known to trap waste, which keep the pollutants in the water.

Isnt Everything That Has To Deal With Salt Water Very Expensive? Lighting 4 Coral in a 30 gallon would cost around $100.00 , The coral would cost 30.00 a piece , filters a somewhat expensive too , the fish are expensive too , if they die your out of luck , y cant lfs take it easy on us??

Back
Top Bottom