Need new filter suggestions 75G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinokath

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a 75 gallon planted tank with CO2 injection. Been running it for years, probably close to 10 now.

The first 2-3 years I used an old Marineland Magnum and then I upgraded to two Fluval 406's.

The 406's recently developed a microbubble spitting issue, a real problem with a planted CO2 tank. Spent about $200 replacing all the impellers, valves, gaskets, primers, tubing, etc. Still had the issue. The company told me tough luck. Fine.

I went and bought a new Fluval FX6. It makes a horrendous buzzing noise while it runs. Empty, full, whatever, it buzzes. In talking with customer service, told me their products are not meant to be run with anything inline and didn't help me.

Fine. I am done with them. So, returning it to the store and looking for a different brand.

Anyone have any suggestions on what canister filter to use you love which isn't the above brand?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you have not received any answer here. Best to try Amazon for 4+ star rated canister filter or above. Basically all canisters have $20-$50 in parts with a 4-5 times multiplier for price. Not much to them.

Hello din...

I keep multiple larger tanks and use sponge filters only. The others are too expensive and take longer to service than sponges. Even when you add the cost of a good air pump to run them, the cost is still minimal. Because, you never need to buy replacement media. If you're a good about removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly, one or even two dual sponge filters is all you need.

B

I just started my 75 gallon tank 3 weeks ago. I'm using the AquaClear 110 with two sponge filters and a pre-filter on the intake. It is the first time I've used a pre-filter. I'll always use one from now on. I'm happy with the filter. I need to clean the pre-filter once a week in hot water to free it of buildup which slows the intake.

I need to clean the pre-filter once a week in hot water to free it of buildup which slows the intake.
Sounds like you have too fine a ppi foam as your pre filter. Should be 10 ppi coarse foam for the intake so you would only have to clean it once a month.

Last edited:
Habs133
How often you have to clean your pre-filter depends alot on the tank inhabitants and your feeding habits. I recommend NOT cleaning it in hot water, like most filter media in your aquarium it should be cleaned in the water taken from the tank during a water change. Yes it takes a little more effort it squeeze it clean than just run it under a tap but it IS possible. I have pre-filters on my shrimp tank filters and have to clean them every couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom