Need opinions on submersible pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be putting together a DIY 55 gal tank. The whole thing is still in the design phase but I am not here for DIY help. I'll take any suggestions you have on the subject though. :lol:

No, the reason I am here today is submersible pumps. Keep in mind that I don't have a money tree growing in my back yard. So, I am putting this thing together on the cheap. I will upgrade most, if not all pumps and such in time to better quality units.

Here is a basic diagram showing what I am intending to do with the pump.
tanktf4.gif

I have found information elsewhere that has said that with this type of filtration, I need to push 4 times my tank size through the filter every hour. More is, of course, better. So, I went in search of pumps under $25 that push, at minimum, 200 gph. I found these 2 so far.

--Pentair Aquatics Lifegard Quiet One- 1200
--Rio 800 Aqua Pump/Powerhead

These are comparible (I think) as far as performance goes. Both under $25. Which do you folks feel is the better product? Have a suggestion for another? I'd love to be able to afford a better unit at this time, but that just isn't the case.

Thanks!

An online friend is helping put together a DIY PVC filter. He has assured me that this filter will be overkill for this size tank. Will be a 4" dia. PVC about 24" long filled with bio material of some sort. That part of the design is still a bit up in the air, I guess.

(BTW ... I failed to mention that this was for a freshwater tank)

I have the older model QuietOne (red and tan) and the newer versions (blue and black), like the one you mentioned (Pentair Aquatics Lifegard Quiet One- 1200). The older ones are quieter but not sumbmersible. The new ones are a little noiser and sometimes chatter, but typically cheaper than other pumps. I have no experience with the other pump so I can't give you any feedback.

FYI - You will need a second pump to pump the water from the bio-filter back into the tank, if not you will empty your tank and flood the floor. You might want to look at DIY sumps which looks like what you are trying to design.

I was going to mention the "quiet one 1200" also....296gph / 6' max head...

I have looked into a similar design made with a whole house water filter...that design had an overflow plumbed into the filter, and the quiet one pump ran in-line pulling water through the return

Idealconcepts said:
Ketso did you get my PM reply?

Yes I did. Sorry to not get back with you. Thanks for the offer on the help. I will definitely keep that in mind.

K, folks... I guess it's the 1200 for now. Will get a better one in 3 or 4 months when money isnt as much of an issue. I'll leave the better one in a handy place until the 1200 craps out. LOL.

Hmmm ... Wonder if the 1200 is adjustable? Might be good for a QT tank later on.

Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom