Need quick advice on lamp changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our local reef club has a group buy for reefgeek that ends today. I want to replace the 48" T5HO lamps on this tank

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/tank-journal-125-reef-125546.html

It runs a Nova Extreme w/8 T5HOs, right now just the factory bulbs which are 4x actinic and 4x 10,000k. On a recent 'tank tour' it was suggested that I get a couple ATI Purple Plus lamps. As I was looking at reekgeek's selection for ATI lamps:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/ATI/

Would the Purple Plus lamps replace the Actinics or the 10,000Ks? That's my first question.

I am wondering if I should mix it up and go with a wide array of lamps.

Can anyone suggest which lamps I should go with, not just ATI, but type of lamp also? Need to stick to what is available on reefgeek because of the group buy discount.

I need to have my order in today, so fast help would be much appreciated!!

I always only used Geissman bulbs. They are a little more expensive but have awesome output. I only used them for actinic supplement so can't help you on the mix to get. I think with an 8 bulb fixture you could mix and match bulbs to get an awesome look.

Yes, Blue Plus would act as a standard actinic replacement. The most widely used bulbs, imo, are ATI, Giesemann, and UVL and the mixture tends to depend on what you keep and the effect you want.

Front: This would give a blue effect, but could switch out the Purple+ for KZ Fiji.

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Purple Plus
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Purple Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Front: Should bring out a lighter blue with even coloration.

ATI True Actinic
Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Aquablue
ATI True Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Giesemann Aquablue
ATI True actinic

I think I like the 2nd option - not quite as much blue with a good mixture. It's a display tank in an office so I don't want it to be too blue, but I think the straight 10,000Ks that are on there tend to wash out the color, they overpower the actinics. It looks really deep blue when those are on by themselves, but I don't want it to look that blue all the time.

Looks like the Giesemann Aquablues are at the 15KK spectrum while the UVLs are 10KK, the Blue Plus give the Actinic component, but what is the difference between that and the ATI True Actinic?

Seems like a lot of actinic spectrum - will the end effect be too much blue? Would it brighten up a bit to switch out one of the ATI True Actinics with a regular 10,000K?

Looks like there isn't much difference between the Purple+ and the KZ Fiji Purple. Could go either way on that and be OK.

Still looking to lock in a bulb selection.

My question really at this point is how drastically will the look of the tank be by switching from the alternating 10,000Ks and Actinics that came with the fixture, versus the 2nd option listed by Innovator above:

ATI True Actinic
Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Aquablue
ATI True Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Giesemann Aquablue
ATI True actinic

You could always post on Grim's (RC) T5 thread, he is always your best T5 scenario bet ;)

Ok haven't placed the final order yet...will find that thread. You're the 2nd person on 2 sites to recommend that within 2 minutes of each other

got a shortcut to the thread?

Grim suggested this:

Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Gmann Aquablue
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Order an extra Aquablue to play with. No sense in the Aquasun over a second purple plus as it just adds more red like the Purple lamp but doesnt have the actinic spike in it.
so I'm going with that...

Sweet, so my first option. Show pics afterwards :) I agree with the extra Aquablue or two in replacing Blue+'s for a lighter shade.

Thank Innovator, I didn't realize until after I ran through the whole mess that you suggested that arrangement first!

I will definitely do before & after pics. It might be a bit, I have to build a new light suspension system and add a few fans. Lamps were getting hot and I don't want to burn through these new ones before a year is up.

Back
Top Bottom