Need some expert advice on Aqueon 65 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ragincajun92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a Aqueon 65 gallon tank from petsmart last Thursday. I filled the tank up Friday half way to check for leaks over night. Saturday no leaks tank looks good. Fill the tank up the rest of the way only to find small bubbles appearing in all four seams of my tank. I called and sent Aqueon a email on the matter and they are telling me the tank is perfectly fine and that this is very common and will have no effects on the Integrity of the tank. I have had 8 tanks over the years and I have never noticed this to be a issue with any other tank. If you let the water back out the tank looks perfect and you can not see any of the bubbles. Aqueon is telling me the water is pushing out on the glass and spreads making the bubbles Visible. I’m just not sure if this is indeed normal or something I should be concerned about. I have went to some other pet stores to look at different tanks and when I push out on the glass all of them make these bubbles appear. I spent some time making sure the tank is 100% level in every direction. Looking for advice and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Also most of the bubbles in the seam are near the middle of the seam in all four corners

Attachments

• B90D5F0D-9B8A-4804-AB84-AA0DF5657D28.jpg
    B90D5F0D-9B8A-4804-AB84-AA0DF5657D28.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 127
  • C502B290-EE81-444F-912B-A57F99A22EEA.jpg
    C502B290-EE81-444F-912B-A57F99A22EEA.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 101
  • AFBF3DD0-186B-4155-9CEC-46EF07F4FF86.jpg
    AFBF3DD0-186B-4155-9CEC-46EF07F4FF86.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 115
I guess more or less what I asking is do any of you guys have these same seam issues and if so did you live with it or take it back.

I guess more or less what I asking is do any of you guys have these same seam issues and if so did you live with it or take it back.

it looks like it might be air actually -air trapped between the bond bead that holds the glass together and the sealing bead that was applied after the tank got assembled and the first bead dried.

would I be OK with that. TBH that one is a hard to answer...
it looks like it is ok, it probably is ok. not sure if I would be exchanging though. sorry I'm not really answering your question. :hide:

I'd take it back. Air in a caulk seam when it's gonna hold pressure of water weight (that you want to last a long time) will probably not last as long as it should and could. It could be a different type of caulk that they used, could be they seller it on the outside first then the inside, Double the layer, glass could be cut crappy. Either way, I would take it back. If you think you can't take it back. Just tell them it was a X-mas gift and your not happy with it. Show them the pictures. You are already unhappy about it. I wouldn't even ask. I'd tell them, setting it up was a waste of your time, waste of water, and so on. Talk to a manager. But that's just what I'd do.

I'd take it back just to be on the safe side, if it is air on the inside it means the seals aren't the greatest because of the trapped air. Maybe coralbandit can chime in on this, he knows a lot about this sort of thing

RC
I have never had a tank corner seal ever bubble up like that. The last tank I bought was a Marineland, also from Petsmart; no bubbles. If you're not happy with it, being it back. No sense having to worry about a brand new tank.

So i emailed aqueon and sent pictures. This is the response i got back.

Hello Brandon,

Thanks for the email! After viewing your photos, what your seeing is not uncommon and poses no threat to the integrity of the tank.

When tanks this size are put together at the seam, the silicone pushes together and squishes out. As it dries, air bubbles may form inside the actual seam and stretch out. If tiny enough they may not be noticeable until water is added to the tank and water pressure pushes on the glass panels stretching them a bit. This is not something that will have any effect on the integrity of the tank. Most all of the larger tanks do have this happen to them, as the glass gets heavier and the maneuverability during construction gets more difficult. It can also depend on the climate on the individual day that this run of tanks were built. Moisture in the air can affect this process as well. The silicone is designed to have some stretch otherwise if the tank was glued using a ridged adhesive and gets jostled sideways at all, the seam would break away. The elasticity of the silicone prevents that from happening and maintains the water tight seal all at the same time. These bubbles can have several different “looks” and are not uncommon and pose no threat to the integrity of the tank.

Sincerely,

Josh

Central Garden and Pet Aquatic and Small Animal

Technical Services/Warranty Associate

800-255-4527

5401 W Oakwood Park Dr

Franklin, WI 53132

Print out your E-mail, hold on to the warranty. I just checked out the seals on my 19 y.o. 65 gal. Oceanic tank. No bubbles.

I have an aqueon 65 and it's not looking like that. While it may not be an issue.. It is an issue. You're not happy with the product and this guy even says it varies month to month season to season? Get a replacement so it doesn't drive you nuts.
Ps- not to be a smart ***.. They obviously have a climate controlled assembly warehouse. Yes silicone can vary in set-up/curing times based on temp and rh. In a climate controlled environment the only excuse for this is a rushed departure into a far different environment a.k.a. poor quality control a.k.a. give me a new tank slackers...

So i emailed aqueon and sent pictures. This is the response i got back.

Hello Brandon,

Thanks for the email! After viewing your photos, what your seeing is not uncommon and poses no threat to the integrity of the tank.

When tanks this size are put together at the seam, the silicone pushes together and squishes out. As it dries, air bubbles may form inside the actual seam and stretch out. If tiny enough they may not be noticeable until water is added to the tank and water pressure pushes on the glass panels stretching them a bit. This is not something that will have any effect on the integrity of the tank. Most all of the larger tanks do have this happen to them, as the glass gets heavier and the maneuverability during construction gets more difficult. It can also depend on the climate on the individual day that this run of tanks were built. Moisture in the air can affect this process as well. The silicone is designed to have some stretch otherwise if the tank was glued using a ridged adhesive and gets jostled sideways at all, the seam would break away. The elasticity of the silicone prevents that from happening and maintains the water tight seal all at the same time. These bubbles can have several different “looks” and are not uncommon and pose no threat to the integrity of the tank.

Sincerely,

Josh

Central Garden and Pet Aquatic and Small Animal

Technical Services/Warranty Associate

800-255-4527

5401 W Oakwood Park Dr

Franklin, WI 53132
Dear Josh, I would like a refund on this tank so I can invest in a better quality one. I would appreciate it if you would refer me to a higher up person of management to settle this if you are not able too. I am a very unsatisfied customer with your product. Thank you for your time and information. Sincerely, unsatisfied customer!

Dear Josh, I would like a refund on this tank so I can invest in a better quality one. I would appreciate it if you would refer me to a higher up person of management to settle this if you are not able too. I am a very unsatisfied customer with your product. Thank you for your time and information. Sincerely, unsatisfied customer!

Why on earth would he need to do that if he can just get refund from the store any day?

I think the seam is weaker ?
Less silicone in contact with glass where there is air equals less adhesion IMO.. Weaker seams.. Warranty is only a year I think? silicone should last 20+...I would seek other 'professional' opinions and try for exchange...
I think Brook nailed it.. Many argue about cure times but most tanks I have bought brand new have been at least 90 days old.. They used to let the tanks cure properly.. Not so sure that is how this works anymore ?

I don't know, he's the one emailing them. I think he should just take it back too.

He is emailing them with technical question regarding specific doubt about the product. He does it to have more information so he can make a better informed decision whether to go keep or not. His question has nothing to do with customer support or terms of the returns as that would be a job of retailer. There is no need to always do the "I'm the oh so not satisfied customer here" dance, especially when discussing technical matters.

He is emailing them with technical question regarding specific doubt about the product. He does it to have more information so he can make a better informed decision whether to go keep or not. His question has nothing to do with customer support or terms of the returns as that would be a job of retailer. There is no need to always do the "I'm the oh so not satisfied customer here" dance, especially when discussing technical matters.
OH!, Soooo, sorry. Didn't realize. He side he didn't know if he could take it back. Thought he might of had it shipped or something. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Hope everything works out.

I had a 20long that did the very same thing from the buck gal sale , I didn't think those bubbles would ever go away ,

I was told to empty out the tank run a hair dryer up and down the seam than use a wet sponge to compress the seal that should release any air bubbles between the seal .

it worked but still theirs no reason why anyone should have to spend time fixing a factory error

you spend good money on something you should get a good quality product that you don't have to deal with any of that mess,

Back
Top Bottom