Need some light help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okapizebra

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I recently got a new ten gallon tank that came with the standard hood and of course the standard incandescent bulbs. I really don't like them and they produce so much heat that they're heating up the water and they often smell like they're burning (probably not a good thing...). I really want some fluorescent bulbs. The ones I've found at the pet store seem to be way too high of a watt for my little ten gallon. I found some nice ten watt fluorescents at walmart but they're now out of stock and they're even out of stock online.

I can't get a nice tube because I don't see how that would work because the only place for lighting is two little screw in places for bulbs.

So I was looking at home depot's website and found some lowish watt bulbs but I have no idea if they can fit into the screw in things in my hood. Anyone know? Here are links of some of the ones I was looking at.

14-Watt (60W) Daylight CFL Light Bulbs (4-Pack)-ES5M814450K at The Home Depot

13-Watt (60W) CFL Energy Saver Soft White Light Bulb (4-Pack) (E*)-417071 at The Home Depot

14-Watt (60W) Household CFL Light Bulbs (2-Pack) (E)*-ES5M814C250K at The Home Depot

CFLs make a great upgrade to an incandescent hood. Look for daylight spectrum bulbs. They're a little more expensive, but they don't make your tank a nasty yellow like the cheap ones do.

Right, that's what I'm looking for. But do you know if these home depot bulbs will fit into the incandescent slots in the hood? If so, I can just go out and get them there.

They should fit. The whole idea of CFLs is they're a direct replacement for incandescents.

All right, I'll give them a try. Worst comes worse I can just use them around the house lol. Thank you very much!

Okay, I ended up going to a further walmart and getting two 10 watt fluorescent bulbs for my ten gallon. They look awesome.

So now that I have 2 WPG, is that still a 'low light' amount of light? Right now I've just got a java fern there and was wondering if that now my light was increased a bit that I'd be able to grow anything else. Do not wish to do any ferts or CO2.

Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom