New 45gal with Fluval 206

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3unuch_80m83r

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just bought my girlfriend a 45 gal tank for Christmas, we're both new to a bigger tank and have only used HOB filters before. I know it's rated for 45gal but I've been reading that it is not enough. We have about 30 fish in it and I'm wondering what I should do... buy a bigger filter, add a HOB or leave it. Can anyone provide some insight please? Thank you in advance!

Add another 206. Probably wouldn't hurt to also add an HOB rated for 45 gallons unless you're against an HOB.

What about adding a 306 or 406 and removing the 206? I know I can't do it right away because of the bacteria, but I'd prefer just having 1 filter... If this is the way to go, how would you go about it? We've had it set up for about 2 weeks now and added store bought bacteria last week

You could swap it out for a 406. I personally like running two filters so I can clean them intermittently. If one of the filters goes out you still got another filter running as well.

Ive used bottled bacteria in the past. I don't think it cycles a tank much quicker if at all faster than traditionally cycling a tank. When I used bottled bacteria it still took me around 5 weeks to cycle my tank. If you can get ahold of some substrate or old filter media from an established/cycled tank you can add it to your tank setup and it will cycle within a couple days.

So IMO, if your going to switch out your canister filter you should do it now and plan on spending some time cycling your tank.

Back
Top Bottom