new 75 gal need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakedalab

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking at getting a 75 gallon tank but I have some questions about it thought maybe I could get a little bit better response on here than what the fish store guy has to say. I was wondering what some of y'all would recommend I look into as far as filters heaters and such. I'm thinking on making it a planted community tank. I've never ventured into the planted stuff before either so any tips on that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks for your time and help.

Your 75 G

Hello jake...

Nice tank choice. The larger tanks are so much easier to maintain than the little ones. I could never get the hang of maintaining those small tanks, and forget about planting them, there's just no room to work!

Anyway, I keep large, planted tanks. I use Aqua Clear filters, have for years. Good quality, easy to maintain, price is reasonable. Starting out, a couple of AC 50s placed at opposite ends of the tank would be plenty as long as you're willing to change half the tank water every week.

Two heaters placed next to the filters is a good arrangement. I'd say a couple of 150 watt heaters would be sufficient.

What about lighting. Lights would be good here. A 75 G is pretty wide, so you'll need a strip that will accomodate two bulbs. A couple of 48 inch, 40 watt, 6500 K, T12s would give your tank good intensity and distribution and grow quite a few of the low to medium light plants. More than enough to fill a 75 G.

PM me anytime if you have some more questions. I'm never too busy to chat about planted tanks.

B

Hey Jake well I have canister filter fluval is my choice haven't let me down yet but I do need to upgrade to the new models :)

hey jake, welcome. I personally have never used a HOB filter in my planted tanks, i have the Rena canister filters i like them because they dont use Carbon in them and from what i have read and experianced when you are using carbon in your filters it takes nutrients out of the water as well. if you decide to go with a planted tank in the future and go with plants that need co2 and Fertilizers your not going to want to have those taken out of the water column. plus canisters are easily hidden under the tank itself and out of sight.

i love my rena filters and would recommend a canister filter

Ok sweet thanks for your input and am definitely starting to lean more towards the canisters. Would a person just need one or would they be better off with a pair?

U can run one I have a fluval 405 on my 75 gal I'm going to just upgrade to the 406 since they say its stronger well that's what they say at the lfs where I live

As far as heaters go I use Aqueon Pro Heaters in all of my tanks. They are fully submersible. They are not made of glass so you don't have to worry about busting it. They also have an led indicator light so you know if it is heating or not.

For filters I would either use 2 Aquaclear 110's or a Fluval 405. With this tank I personally would probably use the Aquaclear's though. Totally customizable media, and in case one ever went out you would have a second one running.

Back
Top Bottom