New 90 Gallon Filter Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey folks.
I could use some help/opinions here. I own a new unused Rena XP3 I bought with the intention of getting a four foot 80 gallon I have seen at Petsmart. I can't return the XP3 as I "borrowed" some hose from it...

Another tank that I am considering instead is the All Glass standard 90 gallon which is 48x18x24 inches, or possibly an Oceanic 105 show which is almost the same dimensions except 29 inches high. Can the XP3 handle a 90 or the 105 gallon, or should I perhaps couple it with a second XP2 or some such "can" filter. As I have a Rena XP2 on my 26 gallon (over-kill) and I really like these filters, I would prefer to keep using a Rena if its a good choice. If I use two do you put both intakes on the same side for flow considerations or one on each side? Also, any one had experience with corner overflow tanks. What is their advantage or are they only for under gravel filtration?

Thanks for any suggestions fellow fish and plant heads. Bob

Using 2 cannisters on a tank of that size has a lot of advantages. Increased water movement is one. Staggering the cleaning schedule is another. I'm also a big fan of sponge pre filters for cannisters because they keep large debris from accumulating in the cannisters and it's much easier to rinse of the sponges every few days then open up the filters. :wink:

Mine are set up this way.... One filter with the intake and outflow at opposite ends of the tank. The other has the intake positioned on the end with the outflow of the first filter, and the outflow of this one in the center. I'm quite happy with the water circulation in this set up.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom